Good flow and live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it important that I have good flow over my live rocks. The reason why I ask is that I have a 1200 maxijet flowing across my live rocks and I think it is causing the fish to stay at one end of the tank because the flow is so strong. The coral beauty, damsel and clarkii clown stay at one end of the tank. Or is it that they are more hiding spaces at that end?

I have most of my fish stay on different ends of the aquarium. I`ve seen fish swim across the current if they want to. There`s some logical explanation. like more hiding spots or the food always come that way.

I want to get 2 more fish and I wouldn't want all of them hanging at that end of the tank. Occasionally they will go all over the tank. Just making sure that nothing is wrong.

you could try moving the flow a bit higher over the LR or are you using it directed at corals or other things that like high flow

The coral beauty, damsel and clarkii clown stay at one end of the tank.

I don't think a single MJ 1200 will cause so much flow in a 55 that it will interfere w/ the fish's swimming abilities, or two or three 1200's for that matter. If you always feed in the same place this can be an issue, as Melosu said, or if the flow always takes food to the same place. I've seen automatic feeders recommended to people in the past to get fish to explore more, and act more naturally. I plan on trying one out myself soon, but I don't have any direct experience yet. FWIW I started varying the sides of my tank I feed on, and that has helped some.

MT79 said:
I don't think a single MJ 1200 will cause so much flow in a 55 that it will interfere w/ the fish's swimming abilities, or two or three 1200's for that matter.
I agree, I have two Hydor 2s (600GPH) and a MJ (can't remember which one), but with the Hydors alone that is 21x overturn in the tank.
MT79 said:
I started varying the sides of my tank I feed on
That's a good idea, I'll have to start doing that as well.

Back
Top Bottom