Good In Tank or HOB Protein Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,
After a few trial and errors, a case of the flu, and who knows what else, I finally have my "final" tank plans in place.
I purchased a used Red Sea Max 130 recently, as I thought that an all in one would be an easier way to go for a beginner, but after cleaning it up and filling it to leak test it, I came to see just how noisy it is. The pumps need replacing, the skimmer is super noisy, and combined with the fan for the lights, there is NO way we would be able to have this tank in the bedroom, besides the extra costs to replace pumps, skimmer and lights. Hence, my husband and I decided to stick with the standard tank set we already have. :facepalm::lol:

The tank is a 37 gallon tall tank (footprint of a 29, but taller). Currently not drilled, but we may have that done down the road to add a sump. Tank is currently cycling and doing well. I am going to go with LED lights when I get ready to start adding corals.

I am looking for a good skimmer to add to my current set-up. I really think I would prefer an IN TANK skimmer, but I know I am limited on choices there, so I will consider an HOB if there is a better option. Are there any skimmers out there that will run as an in tank or hob that can later run in a sump down the road? This is definitely something I DON'T want to skimp on, I would rather pay more now for a good skimmer than have to replace a piece of junk later. Also, looking for something quiet. Doesn't have to be silent, but this tank is in our bedroom, and I am a light sleeper, so not insanely loud is a must for me.

Ideas, options, criticism..............Again, this is a 37 gallon tank, no sump, 35 ish lbs rock, will be FOWLR for a couple months, eventually softies and LPS corals.

Hey all,
After a few trial and errors, a case of the flu, and who knows what else, I finally have my "final" tank plans in place.
I purchased a used Red Sea Max 130 recently, as I thought that an all in one would be an easier way to go for a beginner, but after cleaning it up and filling it to leak test it, I came to see just how noisy it is. The pumps need replacing, the skimmer is super noisy, and combined with the fan for the lights, there is NO way we would be able to have this tank in the bedroom, besides the extra costs to replace pumps, skimmer and lights. Hence, my husband and I decided to stick with the standard tank set we already have. :facepalm::lol:

The tank is a 37 gallon tall tank (footprint of a 29, but taller). Currently not drilled, but we may have that done down the road to add a sump. Tank is currently cycling and doing well. I am going to go with LED lights when I get ready to start adding corals.

I am looking for a good skimmer to add to my current set-up. I really think I would prefer an IN TANK skimmer, but I know I am limited on choices there, so I will consider an HOB if there is a better option. Are there any skimmers out there that will run as an in tank or hob that can later run in a sump down the road? This is definitely something I DON'T want to skimp on, I would rather pay more now for a good skimmer than have to replace a piece of junk later. Also, looking for something quiet. Doesn't have to be silent, but this tank is in our bedroom, and I am a light sleeper, so not insanely loud is a must for me.

Ideas, options, criticism..............Again, this is a 37 gallon tank, no sump, 35 ish lbs rock, will be FOWLR for a couple months, eventually softies and LPS corals.

I've heard the tunze 9002 skimmer fits in there and is a beast.

Thanks. I have been looking at the tunze skimmers. i guess I didint realize the can go right in the tank..........

bump.............
Does anyone use an in tank skimmer on your tank? What do you use, pros cons?
I really want to make sure I purchase a good skimmer, help would be much appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom