Good News and Bad News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
The bad news first...I am 23 and back living with my parents :bawl:

It's a long story about a bad breakup...no one wants to hear it. Anyway, so about a year ago, I had to move back in with my parents, which is when I got into the aquarium hobby. I am only allowed a 10 gallon tank in my room, which I have happily set-up and running as a freshwater community tank.

The good news....I got a raise at work!! :biglol: So anyway, to make a long story short, hopefully I will be moving out between 3 months from now and a year from now. When I move into an apartment, I want to start one or more saltwater tanks. I have never had a saltwater tank and I am aching to have one! I don't know if I want a reef tank or just a regular saltwater fish tank.

Question 1: For a beginner should I just start off with saltwater fish and some decorations?

Question 2: Does anyone know any really good books on saltwater aquarium keeping? I would prefer it to have information on everything from setting the tank up, to the fish and plants, and corals and how to set up and maintain a reef and all the other wonderful jazz I don't yet know about.

Sorry about the long message...I had to get it all out in one shot, lol!

I would recomend "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" By Robert M Fenner. It's everything you mentioned you were looking for and more. I would also like to suggest you get a 55 Gallon tank, as you are a beginner, and they are easier than the smaller tanks to care for. 0X

Response 1: A fish only tank would be a good way to get into the hobby. Corals require higher output lights and the lights are usually the most expensive part of the saltwater reef tank. Not only do you have the cost of the bulbs but the ongoing cost of the electric and the bulbs. Once you got the bsics under your belt you can slowly move ino corals. Thats what I did and I feel its a good move.

Response 2: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/library.php --> Click on the saltwater link and youll see plenty of books. The one we recommend most for beginners is the book by Fenner. Depending on your interest the other books might be interesting for you aswell.

Thanks for your help. I have heard that a salt water tank is a lot more work to take care of, so I want to be knowledgable before I attempt anything and kill innocent fishies...

My boyfriend bought me 'The Marine Aquarium Problem Solver' by Nick Dixon.....Its pretty interesting and includes these great charts that show species compatability.

Back
Top Bottom