Good research material for studying creatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
There are a lot of creatures and fish out there to learn about. I have learned about so many already. I was just wondering if anyone knew of some research material that will help me to learn about the names and different species that are most popular in home reef aquariums. The scientific names get thrown around a lot and I usually need to google it to understand what is being discussed. thought maybe there was a good study resource that I am missing.

Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" for fish and Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" for corals are the best concise resources I've found out there. On the web, if you haven't found www.wetwebmedia.com yet, it's a HUGE archive of info from Fenner and his crew. Great stuff, but a bit hard to find exactly what you need sometimes.

WWM is a great site with a ton of info. Just to echo Kurt, I have Borneman's Aquarium Corals and also Marine Fishes by Scott Michael. Ron Shimek also has a cool book Marine Invertebrates that lists out tons of info on inverts. The books aren't too expensive. Check www.half.com

What's wrong with Google?

The books and web sites mentioned are great and so is this forumn. You should definately get the Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species book to carry around in case you stop at an lfs. Great photos and care guide for those impulse buys. It can save you from making a big mistake.

Back
Top Bottom