Got my first few corals.. few questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the BTA somehow crawled up my siphon u-tube and into the hob overflox box. Luckily water remained in the overflow box, and he is still alive. Put him back in the tank about 4 hours ago and he's still alive but not all the way open yet though. The pump ran dry but it is still good too, and no floods.

Then my condy anemone's tentacles are positioned where he's rubbing up against my GSP and it's all closed.

These darn anemones are trouble. I might get rid of the condy. I like the BTA too much to get rid of though.

I had issues with my condy. Thye grow pretty large too so the problems will only increase. lol I gave mine back to the lfs after maybe 2 months. I sleep alot better now. :)

Thanks. Can never be too careful. I need to find tighter fitting gloves where water doesn't get in.

I just don't want to end up getting sick or potentially dying from a hobby. It wouldn't be worth it, you know? lol

I have 4 56w t5ho bulbs in a 55 gallon. 2 12000k and 2 actinics
the guy at the lfs said that would be more than sufficient

According to my own research, if i go by watts per gallon, i have enough light.

I would really appreciate more discussion on the toxicity of specific corals to humans, if anyone has more knowledge.

I knew the zoa's were potentially toxic and that is why I didn't get any.

You can buy latex gloves that don't have any powder inside. They are the type generally used for food handling.

You have to have a point of entry for any toxicity to be a problem. If you wear gloves you should be fine to touch them. Water will get in your gloves unless you get the kind that go to your shoulders (which I did), but mine STILL filled with water.

What about your eyes, nose and mouth...Are you going to wear a bubble suit. I'm not being mean but everything has it's dangers with and without precautions and then there's murphy's law. But I got you covered on that one because Murphy lives with me.

Weigh the pros and the cons for yourself, if what you need to do to be comfortable and feel safe is not enough or it would be to much hassle then don't get one.

Research, research...

and more research. :)

Here's a link for you:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19505494

from there you can end up all over the place with information.

Well some things not going so good.

I guess dosing with fish food while my tank was without fish wasn't enough to keep the BB alive. I think the snails ate it up too fast (I have a lot of snails).

I unfortunately got in the habit of not testing my water (25% weekly water changes kept everything in check). So when I moved my fish back into the tank on March 2nd I'm guessing I started the cycle over again.

This is kind of good news and bad news. Good news is the worst is likely over and everything is still alive.

Bad news is ammonia is .25 after a water change yesterday. Leather is turning white, feather duster is shrinking, and coral plate is looking bleached.

Also somehow my salinity got down to 1.021. I don't know how that happened. I always mix at 1.025. I might have had something go wrong with my ATO.

Anyways, I know what I have to do, so not really any questions. Just more of a sucky update!

A few updates on some corals.

My frogspawn is regrowing quite nicely after the BTA sting:
img_1871115_0_04aaf21da242eaae602c50389e096a73.jpg

The GSP is covering the rock quite nicely.. though it has been harassed by my condy anemone and bad water parameters. I think it should grow/open up fine though:
img_1871115_1_3ad6c52ef32b9ba6711683225c64fad8.jpg

My zoa rock getting harassed by my condy anemone (really should get rid of that guy):
img_1871115_2_bfbf0408f1552940835a864daff33080.jpg

My duncan coral is growing all kinds of new heads. At least 5 or 6:
img_1871115_3_f81cc538c8759a67db31ba6192097d08.jpg

Candy cane coral left side is splitting into 3 or 4:
img_1871115_4_bb2696f919ec550c5f95b57ad6ca4f0a.jpg

Right side has almost finished splitting into 2:
img_1871115_5_116b754d76f4d8e4c4875847392f53c8.jpg

And, my anthelias.. sustaining but not really growing. The mat roots or whatever keep coming up out of the sand:
img_1871115_6_10f3beaa24b6b15155236139ecd7f7c3.jpg

And a report.. my sea cucumber is trying to commit suicide. Found him in the overflow box not too long ago. Put him back in the tank. Found him today in the overflow box again.. what are the odds!? May have to get rid of him too.. I think he harasses the sand corals.

I suppose that could be. Although I've had him 8 months or so and he's still alive and never ventured into the overflow box until now. I guess that doesn't mean he's not starving though.

Going to take him back. It will give me peace of mind and I'm sure he'll love the LFS algae. :-D

How can I get the condy anemone off of the zoa rock? I moved the rock to the bottom of the tank and a few days later he's still attached, though stretching upwards and not looking as good. His foot is lodged down in a crevice and the body of him is on top off the rock.

Surely I can't pull on him? Don't want to kill him.

If he isn't happy he will move. Otherwise he will just keep stretching himself up. Try aiming a power head it him

Can I get better coral growth by feeding more? Target feeding? What to feed? I am currently feeding a capful of phytogreen (i think) once per week, by turning off the sump pump and letting it blow around in there.

Suggestions? Other than my duncan and gsp, the growth is not that good.

I feed phyto every other day and cyclopeeze and vitachem. I literally have a mini fridge next to my tank there are so many things available.

Back
Top Bottom