Got my first few corals.. few questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just picked up my first corals today.

I got a pink anemone, green star polyp, and waving hands xenia (i think that's what it's called).

I have to admit I didn't do my research because I'm new to the coral world and I just picked what was pretty.

But so far they seem good.

Anyways, my first question is about the dangers of reef keeping. I can't seem to find any good articles on it, either. Are any of the above corals toxic or poisonous either by direct touching or through the water column?

I'm very concerned about my health and this hobby.

I wore latex gloves, but the water got inside of them. Which brings me to my second question..

I thoroughly rinsed the latex gloves... but I forgot about the inside of them. :| When water got in my gloves and came out, it came out with the latex powder on it. Should I be concerned?

Lastly, the green star polyp isn't really attached to anything. Just sitting on it's frag rock on top of my rock. Is that ok? (i have the powerheads off to let the anemone attach itself)

I just picked up my first corals today.

I got a pink anemone, green star polyp, and waving hands xenia (i think that's what it's called).

I have to admit I didn't do my research because I'm new to the coral world and I just picked what was pretty.

But so far they seem good.

Anyways, my first question is about the dangers of reef keeping. I can't seem to find any good articles on it, either. Are any of the above corals toxic or poisonous either by direct touching or through the water column?

I'm very concerned about my health and this hobby.

I wore latex gloves, but the water got inside of them. Which brings me to my second question..

I thoroughly rinsed the latex gloves... but I forgot about the inside of them. :| When water got in my gloves and came out, it came out with the latex powder on it. Should I be concerned?

Lastly, the green star polyp isn't really attached to anything. Just sitting on it's frag rock on top of my rock. Is that ok? (i have the powerheads off to let the anemone attach itself)

The only coral that I know of that can be poisonous in this hobby are the zoanthids/palythoas. And that is only if you rip them apart. Wearing gloves was smart though :)

Try to find a cranny for the GSPs to be able to attach. A low flow area would be great.

DO you have proper lighting for the anemone? They need very high lighting.

Thanks. Can never be too careful. I need to find tighter fitting gloves where water doesn't get in.

I just don't want to end up getting sick or potentially dying from a hobby. It wouldn't be worth it, you know? lol

I have 4 56w t5ho bulbs in a 55 gallon. 2 12000k and 2 actinics
the guy at the lfs said that would be more than sufficient

According to my own research, if i go by watts per gallon, i have enough light.

I would really appreciate more discussion on the toxicity of specific corals to humans, if anyone has more knowledge.

I knew the zoa's were potentially toxic and that is why I didn't get any.

Zoas have what's called palytoxin. If you touch the zoas, then rub your eyes or mouth without washing your hands first you'll be in bad shape. ( a good way to get out of going to work lol) Other than that, that I know of, you should be ok. I generally just wash and rinse my hands before they go in the tank and wash them when I'm done. If wearing gloves makes you feel comfortable, then by all means do so.

Thanks!

My anemone seems to have attached himself already. I turned on the pumps and he's swaying :D

So cool to finally have in my tank!!

Anyone know about the latex powder in the water?

I'm pretty sure that powder is corn starch, and unless you got a lot in the tank I wouldn't think it would do too much.

Only 630 am, and only moonlights on, but they appear to be doing well. Anemone is swaying and so is the xenia. The GSP is not opened up yet though. Normal?

The nem seems to be swaying pretty hard to the left. Should I perhaps move him to a lighter flow area?

YouTube green star polyps and u will even see some directly infront of powerheads. They will eventually open.if worse comes to worse you could always move them down lower in the tank away from the flow and once it starts opening for more than 2 or 3 days you can move them back up into your more high flow favorite spot

Don't worry it took my gsp about a week to open and then a week to fully come out! Very hardy btw they will random close for a few days

It's very cool, they opened up! I'm going to move them to give them a bit more flow though.

My anemone is moving himself lol.. can't wait to see where he settles!

This is so awesome, i've been waiting for this for so long.

That exciting feeling will come every time you get a new coral!!

What other corals have you been considering for this tank? I would recommend ricordea, colt, and maybe some Xenia :)

Haven't gotten that far Greenturtle. I will look at those for sure. The guy at the LFS kept saying that the coral I picked up was a "waving hand xenia" although the glass said something different.

Here's some pictures! (they are small pieces) If anyone could help me identify their real names that would be awesome!

anemone (what kind?)
img_1662973_0_75633bfe648fc7ea172e2a67cb90fc33.jpg

What I think is the waving hand xenia
img_1662973_1_c96d384eaf4dcd98eccdf346ad7f6b63.jpg

img_1662973_2_7063f73fc7a0257d9d956e7d2d251e89.jpg

green star polyps
img_1662973_3_fd6542d3d4769543dd61b06e5acb3a40.jpg

Can't seem to do them justice with the camera.

Condylactus Anemone [SIZE=-1](Condylactis gigantea)[/SIZE] or a Long Tentacle Anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis) for the first pic maybe?

Buffy said:
Condylactus Anemone (Condylactis gigantea) or a Long Tentacle Anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis) for the first pic maybe?

I'm pretty sure it's not a long tentacle, but it is likely a condy. LTs' tentacles aren't normally so close together.

Back
Top Bottom