Got my HIROCKS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm psyched that I now have all the parts I need to put together my new tank!

The rock is very nice... 1 piece is AWESOME, 4 are very nice and a couple more are OK and will be good for a solid base (one is about as big as a bowling ball) Tunnels are very nice, and most rocks have at least some tube holes in them.

No, I didn't get the tracking number I asked for, BUT the package came in a reasonable time. I recommend this stuff to anyone who is trying to save $$$ on LR.

pics coming

i've got a camera phone that takes OK pics in good light... I saw the pics on their site, and it just doesn't explain how cool it is... I can't say I've seen a lot of LR in person, but the LFS has nothing on this stuff... execpt for the L part I guess :)

lr

I do plan to, yes.. I want to cycle the hirocks with a dead shrimp first to get the tank going...

I put the rocks in the tank with about 6" of fresh water last night. I'm trying to decide on a plan of action. I haven't found any playsand yet (been to 7 stores), so I'm in a rut.

I could finish filling with tap (well) water, dump in the salt, turn on the PH's and then add a shrimp, and put the sand in later.

Other option would be to set up my RODI and drain the tank before refilling with RODI.

Either way, I want the tank to be ready before I order any LR. I'm kinda bummed that I couldn't get the rock to stack very high. I may add some more hirocks before I get some LR. I can't afford much more, this has already been a very expensive hobby!

If I were you, I would set the rock on some PVC fittings. It will make it look like you have more rock, and it will support more rounded rock better. You could use some short fittings in the front, and some taller ones in the back that will be hidden. :wink:

pvc?

is that stable?

how big pvc? like 4" or so?

what goes in the middle of the PVC hole.. does it just fill up with water? won't the water in there get anoxic and grow bad stuff?

http://reefsources.itgo.com/guide/aquascaping.html

Heres wha I would do, simple and strong.

I would make like a kitchen table skelaton out of Black pvc pipe. 4 legs and then connect them all together like a table without the top. Then I would get some egg crate from lowes or wherever, and zip tie the eggcrate to as the table top to the pvc fittings. You could place a couple of cut peices under the egg crate in th middle for added support. Then add rock in front of it to hide the legs. Then stack the rock on top of the pvc table. You can also zip tie the rocks to the table so they dont move. The zip ties will disapper shortly with algae, and coraline growth. I would use black pvc, and black zip ties.

I could finish filling with tap (well) water, dump in the salt, turn on the PH's and then add a shrimp, and put the sand in later.
As long as there's no sand in the tank this is ok. but Don't add water, then salt, to the tank once sand is in there. Just be warned, adding sand to water = cloud storm for quite some time! You can cut that down by having the sand in first, but that will mean you'll have to mix your water and salt before adding it to the tank.

Cool. I have an order of the 60lb best, large rocks that should be coming in the tomorrow or so...

Back
Top Bottom