Got my new tank FINALY! Cyling questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. I have a 55g tank and for Christmas, I got all the supplies for my new 55g tank. I got 40lbs. of LS and 40lbs. of LR, I got a ViaAqua SK300 protein skimmer, a 10g sump, 3 bags of RedSea salt mix. My question is, I have 2 whole shrimp sitting in my tank right now (has been running for 1 day). Am I supposed to put a little peice of shrimp in? WIll it cycle faster if I keep themk both in there? What water paremeters will change first and what will change next, ect. I am just confused about when it is done and about the shrimp. Thanks

The shrimp will start to look all nasty and then you will have a rise in ammonia which is why you dont have damsels in there. As your nitrifying bacteria takes off it will turn the ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates. Thus your cycle. I would dare say that it will take anywhere from 4- 6 to cycle Be patient

Even with LS and LR it will take that long? SHould I take one of ths shrimp out? Cut them up? Take ethem out even???

No need to be sorry, some people feel it is not necessary to cycle. IMO it is better safe than sorry and by going through the cycling process, even if it is a short one due to having liverock, you are boosting the population of good bacteria on the rock and in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom