got my tank running have a few quick questions.... plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
K i have my 75 gal tank up and running. it is still pretty cloudy but has settled wome. I was wondering if i should be running my wet/dry with the filter pads and bio balls or just leave them out till it settles. Also should i leave my power heads off while it settles or should i have them running? i have added about half of the salt that will be needed and am waiting to add the rest when the substrate settles. also when i get fish and other stuff in my tank eventually will i have to worry about them kicking the dust back up again? i ran my hand across the aragonite to even it out and it got all murky again =(
also if anyone has any advice to help me out in the starting process it would be greatly appreciated thank you

i set up a 55 the end of dec with a DSB. I also have a wet/dry which i started running a couple days after i added my sand.
i also added a couple shrimp from the food store to start the cycle. I left my Powerheads off for the first week. I did clean my filter pad out where my water comes down into my wet/dry. I also got a filter carttridge for one of my powerheads. I just added LR this week, was, ez to make a sand storm but I have noticed that it clears up faster and faster as time goes on. I am pretty new to salt water, and i am learning patience. I mixed all my salt right from the beginning, actually filled the tank with my salt water mix then added my sand, I would recommend getting ur salinity up to normal, being that you added part of it, should see what others have to say. I have heard that some critters can kick up a good sand storm, I haven't gotten to the point for figuring out what I am putting in but that is a consideration too. That's my next step as I cycle through with LR in the tank.

I also plan on losing the bioballs in my wet/dry and replacing it with LR rumble as time goes on.

Hope this helps some

--Liz

The filter pads may help remove some of the particulate matter. The sand will settle on its own and once bacteria begins to build up it wont stir up so easily. Like Liz said above bring your salinity up to the proper level. If you are using established LS the low sal. may be killing it. Check out the articles section at the top of this forum for Fishless cycling. It should help you get started.

Back
Top Bottom