got some new live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulweck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i meet this guy on cl and he was offering aquacultured(thats what he called it) live rock in a 150 gallon he was breaking down for $3 dollars a pound:)

so i ment to his house today and when i walked in his basement my jaw droped to the ground 4 beautiful big reef tanks> i wish i had a camera to take some pick?

so this is what im getting at. i got home put the live rock in my tank and left to got to work. when i get home sitting on the very top of my highest rock is a tiny frag of coral and im not sure what it is was wondering what u guys think?

and also was wondering if i could get some info on hair algae because i also found a lil bit of that as well. i would like to get rid of it if its gonna spread everywhere

tia everybody

heres the coral
img_1368622_0_589fcf466bc67616a1b2a1dbecf1007a.jpg

pics of the new rock
img_1368622_1_85d116e392d98906807ba153472aa54e.jpg

To help with the alge I suggest use'n RO/DI water or distiller instead of treated tap water of that is what you are use'n. If you're tank is cycled I would get a CUC (clean up crew) which oz crabs snails and shrimp. You can also turn off the lights for a few days and that will help depending on what kind of fish or corals you have in the tank will determine how long you cam leave them off. I suggest use'n the RO/DI water if you don't already. and get a good clean'n crew to start off with.

the ro+di system will be here tomorrow i hope. any idea if what that coral looking thing is in the first picture

does anybody know what kinda hitchhiker i have in the top picture i wanna figure it out so i know how to care for him

Looks like an anemone now. Defintiely not gsp.

Theres a hitchiker nem other than aipastia and i can't recall the name right now. :-(

Sorry...but much better picture someone will be able to tell for sure

thanks carey i hope its a good hitchhiker and i dont have to take it out. and if it is a nem will it grow larger?

if the rock came out of a reef its possible its a frag that he forgot about so i doubt its a hitch hicker

if it is an anemone keep an eye on it and watch if it moves spots

ya it was in a reef tank. and he said dont be suprised if u find a coral on it or somthing. when i got it home i put it in a 5 gallon bucket with sw in it and kinds shaked it to try to get anything off it and gave it a good look over and then it popped up the later that day.

hey thanks for the info leo

no problem, its awesome that you got a nice little frag with your rock :) makes the money spent on the rock worth it

Every time I get live rock I hope for cool hitchhikers and I never get good stuff like that. Especially when I pay $6 a lb for the figi ultra rock. I got a hitchhiker one time and I still have no clue what it was but it wasn't good cuz it wax'd one of my clownfish. Maybe one day I'll luck out.

I agree with dream.. Looks like a Majano anemone. Keep an eye on it. If it starts to spread you can always get rid of it.

I don't know about fish but it will certainly harm corals and spread very, very quickly.

An aiptasia remover like Aiptasia X would do just fine

Back
Top Bottom