Great Live Rock! (pics.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
little later there xxfirefighter, I bought the rock back in august.

I did have a noticeable cycle, but it didn't last more than a few days.

HI all. This is my first post. I've been reading and observing everyone for the past couple of months. (No fish yet).
I ordered gulf rock (looks like his pictures) from liverocks.com and received the order last Friday. My tank is 30 gal, running for the past 2 1/2 months. I added my 30# of beautiful live rock from liverocks.com to another 15-20# of rock out of an established tank. The old rock had lots of coraline algae but not much else.
However, I have had a definite die-off from my liverocks order. Ammonia is spiking and I am doing 20% water changes every day. Saw a c. pod dead today, which is a good thing. Things are looking a little "weathered" but OK, I guess.
Liverock is on a 2 1/2 inch sand bed. I guess I wasn't as lucky as you... :|

welcome aboard drm! :smilecolros:

amonia spikes and dieoff are normal. be sure to use your powerheads to blow excess sand off of your rocks daily so you don't loose any more coraline algea than nessicary.

I added a small piece of shrimp to start the cycle with, but it may not be needed in your case. Take daily readings and let us know if you have any questions.

I am fairly new to the whole saltwater game however I have read here alot of people are suggesting adding a dead shrimp after the live rock has been added. I have read elsewhere this is pointless as the ammonia spike caused can kill off alot of what the live rock provides in the first place. I was told to do the shrimp bit with your base rock and after the cycle add your live rock.

Any clarification here.....

Back
Top Bottom