Great new find/luck for me!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well if anybody remembers I was going to order a custom tank from glasscages.com. It was going to be low iron glass on the front three sides and 84x24x25. It kind of fell through due to not being able to get someone to come inspect my house this week and they needed my order if it was to be ready for their next show.

So anyway at work today I noticed a custom ordered tank in the warehouse that was covered in dust. It was an oceanic 84x24x25 as luck would have it. I talked to some people there and the owner hooked me up with it for $400!! Only drawback is that it isn't low iron glass and actually only has one overlfow box instead of two. The one overlfow box does have a 2" hole I belive so it will drain better than a normal one but I'm not sure what to do. Should I have a hole drilled on the back wall near the bottom and custom make another overflow box or what?

Set it up and test it. You can do this without filling the tank with water. Simply set up a rubbermaid garbage can as a sump and use the pump you plan on using to return the water to the overflow, and see if it can handle the flow.

a 2" hole should accomadate a 1' bulkhead that will flow a max of about 700 GPH. If the hole is 2 3/8 you will be able to use a 1 1/2 bulk heads that will flow about 1200 GPH. These are schedule 40 fitting sizes.

Awesome find by the way!

captivereefs said:
a 2" hole should accomadate a 1' bulkhead that will flow a max of about 700 GPH. If the hole is 2 3/8 you will be able to use a 1 1/2 bulk heads that will flow about 1200 GPH. These are schedule 40 fitting sizes.

Awesome find by the way!

Wow, I'll have the measure the hole again because the guy that orders our tanks said it will flow like 2000gph or so :roll:

I think I'll test with the garbage can but I guess it probably won't flow what I want it to, maybe I can just use a larger pump for my closed loop?

Ok, a 1 1/2" bulhead will fit, so I guess I"m at about 1200 gph through my sump/fuge. Is this ok if I have a closed loop doing another 1200-1500 gph or so? I really would like to do this right the first time, should I make another overflow or used 2 closed loop pumps, or possibly look at a tunze that does like 3000gph?

Was even thinking of this pump?
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product...es+Water+Pumps/T1/F78+0332+0149/Itemdy00.aspx

Back
Top Bottom