green hair alge growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caco

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a green hair alge growing on the botton of my tank...it's a new tank about a month old. I have aragonite in the botom, my question is..what should I do to control this Green hair alge!

Thanks

Manually remove what you can, decrease the light cycle a bit, do water changes more often, Double check your water paramaters to make sure they are pristine.

Questions,
Are you using purified water or tapwater.
What are the contents of the tank.
What were your test results. (mainly Nitrates, Phospates) but all would be good just to make sure your cycled.

I bought salt water ready from Monterrey Bay - California. In my tank I have 10 hermi crab, 1 fire shrimp, 3 snail (34galons tank), 2 clown fish
I have a zoo's reef, my lights are on 12hours. I amonia 0, nitrite, 0 , nitrate a little, I did a pwc last weekend 5 galons.

thanks

Ok I'll check phosphate and post it, and lower the lights.

Lighting is only one element in the algae issue. The bigger issue is the excess nutrients that are the fuel for the algae to grow.

What kind of food are you feeding and how often?

When I had an issue with hair algae I did PWCs every week of 30+g (larger system then yours obviously). I would increase the size of PWC you do. Take it up to 12g or so. I would consider doing this every week along with manual removal of the hair algae. I'm not surprised to see that you have low nitrates they are being consumed by the algae.

2 person operation works good IMO. One on the tooth brush and another on the vinyl suction tube when changing water.

That is a great suggestion.

I'll add that you want to pinch and remove what you have between your fingers so that you don't release it into the tank. Have a bowl of water near you while doing this so you can rinse the algae off your fingers as you go. SW would be best to use btw.

I'm using frozen food..once a day, that all!
I bought a GOBY what they do besides a big mess on the botton????

I'm using frozen food..once a day, that all!
I bought a GOBY what they do besides a big mess on the botton????

What kind of goby?

Since you are feeding frozen food the best way to do that is to thaw it out in a small container and then rinse it with RO/DI water before putting it in your tank. Frozen food is a lot of the time packed with phosphates and nitrates. By rinsing it you will remove most of that.

Back
Top Bottom