Growing pods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread on it. Now that I have a fuge - HOB version, about 3 gal - how do I go about initiating pod growth? Do I need to buy eggs, pods??? Does my 8 watt UV kill them? TIA.

NOTE: It's been growing spaghetti algae for a month with about 3" sand bottom and 2# LR rubble.

Just add some rock in the fuge to create the Pod Motel where they can get their grove on. Pods will find their way into the fuge themselves. Or you can buy the live pod packages that they sell online to give the pod population a boost.

I got some macro from local reefers and threw that in. It had some pods on it from being in their fuge. I've had my first pod sightings now so I know they're there (finally). I have a UV on my tank as well and I still have pods. I'm sure whatever pods make it into the UV don't have a chance, but that isn't going to be 100% of them so I'm not really concerned.

Pods usually come on lr and ls and I dont think you need to buy pod eggs. You can buy a bottle of pods and just pour them in your tank if you really want to. It usually just takes time to get them so active that you will see them.

Yes, your UV can and will kill them depending on the amount of water flow you have going through it and at what speed.

Gatorfreak said:
So is LR more important than sand for pod populations?

Yes. Some people who don't have a fuge create a rubble rock pile where pods can reproduce without being preyed upon too much.

I have a rubble rock pile in my tank to help with my pod count

Back
Top Bottom