Hagen calcium test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just used the Hagen/Nutrafin calcium test. It applies three different liquids to a vile of tankwater, then asks to see when it turns from pink to violet. It became difficult to really discern exactly when the violet occurred...each added drop of the final liquid changing the hue ever so slightly. Anyway, best of my eye and my son's eye, it seemed to translate into a level between 600-700.

I realize that's high. Maybe we weren't reading it correctly. However, I was wondering whether I had been using the B-Ionic 2 part additive too much. The tank has been running about 5 months, all other tests good. Per LFS, I had been putting in the B-Ionic daily for a couple of months. Only corals are soft, mushrooms and polyps.

56gal, LR, LS
Fluval 403
2 Powerheads
UV
Skimmer

I was going to purchase a hagen master test kit (i think 9 tests in total) and was told by the LFS guy right in front of the hagen rep that the hagen kit wasn't very accurate especially the calcium test. I know this won't answer your question but I thought it may give you some insight. You could try a salifert test (supposed to be very good) and compare before you make any changes to your routine.

i to have used that test kit. i found that the first drop being pink,when it changes to purple slightly add 1 more drop. thats it. not sure about every day on the bionic.

I had one that lost its accuracy after a 8 months. I didn't use it for a while, then I went to use it and the color came out almost brown where it should have been pink. Threw it away and I use my RedSea one. I know its not 100%, but its easier than the pink to purple stuff.

Salifert test kits are excellent. The CA kit is accurate as far as I can tell. I highly recommend these kits. A bit more expensive but isn't your reef investment worth a test kit that cost a few more bucks?

Back
Top Bottom