Hair algae idk why????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmike10000

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 month old tank and i have hair algea going out of control. Levels are great ph 8.3
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate under 5. Looks like 0
Phosphate 0
Alkalinity 9
Calcium has been getting really low down to 290 for some reason. I cant remove the algea it wont come off and it is growing very fast. I got 4 t5ho bulbs but i inly been running 2 lately. I have 2 clowns and a shrimp

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pics

Attachments

• 1430875053089.jpg
    1430875053089.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 1430875068235.jpg
    1430875068235.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 188
  • 1430875118694.jpg
    1430875118694.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 192
If you have algae, it is feeding off of nitrates and phosphates. That is why you have a reading of 0. You can't pull it out because it is strong from the food source in the water column.
Are you using ro/di water? Are you feeding flake/pellets? How often are water changes and how large?
Your calcium is low most likely because of your alkalinity being high, mag being out of whack, or that you aren't using a reliable test kit. For these tests, Red Sea, Salferit, or Hanna checkers are the only reliable enough. That said, why are you testing for calcium when it is a soft coral dominated tank?

Im using distilled water. And i do a 25% change every week and i feed once a day the slightest amound just barely enough for the fish to survive

And dont i have to have the calcium in the mid 400's for a reef tank or does it not even matter

And flakes

Well, distilled isn't 0 tds so it might be coming in that way. I use distilled and I have algae.
What test kit are you using for that calcium reading?

I was looking at the red sea test i think ill get that.

If you have no corals. I suggest running your tank dark for 3 days. No lights and use something to cover yiur tank completely. This will help lower the algae

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
It got worse but today i took out the rocks and toothbruahed 99% of it off. It looks so good now. I cut the feeding back to every 2 days and lights to 8 hours a day. I took out my old carbon and my filter just has floss and bioballs. Should i add phosguard or just replace it with a micro skimmer. And im still doing 25% change a week with distilled.(cant afford a rodi yet) is there anything else i can do? Im up for all advice to prevent it from growing back. Thank you guys

I would remove the bioballs, you have enough rocks. Other than filter floss what else are you using as filtration?

Foam and the floss

I would run purigen and chemipure elite to keep the phosphates at bay and do more frequent water changes.

Do you have a skimmer?

No skimmer yet. Every time i test for phosphates its zero even from the jugs of distilled.

Have you tested the phosphate in your tank? Have you checked the tds on the water?

You should consider on using a skimmer

I did and its 0tds. With 2 baby clown fish idk how there would be alot of phosphates and nitrate. I feed so little

Maybe you don't have enough water circulating and you're having dead spots. Could be that you're feeding too much. Maybe your rock is leaching phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom