Halimeda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i have some on a piece of my live rock. there are a few plant growths that ae about 3 inches tall.

i'm just curious to know what benifit they are to a reef system. i've read they suck up calcium, but do they also suck up nitrates and phosphates.

if they are a good micro algae for keeping water polution down how can i remove them from my display rock and transplant it into an HOB fuge once i stop being lazy and make one

From what I've heard, they are better left in the display tank for decorative purposes. They are calcified and relatively hard compared to other algaes. You can use them for filtration purposes but for a fuge you would be better off with chaeto, certain forms of caulerpa, gracilaria, and similar algaes.

Here's what Reefcleaners has to say: ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Halimeda (Monile/Incrassata)

Agreed. They do a good filtering job, but need quite a bit of light to sustain because of what atte said. I could grow it like crazy in my DT, but it wouldn't last a week in my fuge.

If you opt to keep it, though, know that it will spread quite rapidly.

well i when i got the rock back in january there was a single branch, now there is close to 10 and i've also noticed they have a waxy feel to them and when they break down turn into extremely white sand. i kind of like the look but it has spread a bit and keeps spreading so i guess i might have to keep pulling them out of the rock to keep them from taking over

Back
Top Bottom