Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Hammer coral

When is a good time to add a hammer coral ?
__________________

__________________
Mil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,244
If the tank is cycled, stable water parameters and good lighting you can add anytime.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
If the tank is cycled, stable water parameters and good lighting you can add anytime.
What do you mean by stable sorry I am a noob meaning like stable calc alkalinity nitrate ect?
__________________
Mil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,244
Nitrates. If you do weekly water changes the alk and calc will be fine.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Nitrates. If you do weekly water changes the alk and calc will be fine.
what lights would you recommenced i use these for a 20g x high tank

http://www.amazon.com/Galaxyhydro-tr...ds=galaxyhydro
__________________
Mil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:14 AM   #6
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Orange County
Posts: 341
A light with focus on lots of blue would be my best recommendation. I have had great success with Kessil.

I'd like to say magnesium is pretty important for these guys. They are also quick growers in my opinion and will take up calcium and carbonates (kh) from the water quickly in a 20g environment as they grow their hard skeleton.. (As you see more growth do more water changes haha)

Luckily for you the practice of 5-10g water changes weekly is actually a good way to restore elements in a balance ratio. The use of salts with higher kh, ca, and mg would be of benefit to you. Such as the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals version. You could also use, for example, Instant Ocean Regular Salt Mix and dose your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium all in dry powder forms both during watcher changes and during the middle of the week. Should you choose to skip a water change or do a smaller change than normal (say 5g instead of 10g) just dose these elements slightly more significantly.

I also can't blindly tell you to dose without encouraging you to get a test kit for these elements. Red Sea has a good one. However, you would surely be safe with just 1 or 2 doses of all 3 elements (come on don't prove me wrong and dump way too much for how much coral you have) I mentioned without testing if not just for the continued growth of coralline algae. Corals would prefer the stability achieved from more frequent smaller, ideally daily, doses of elements.
__________________
Reefer James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer James View Post
A light with focus on lots of blue would be my best recommendation. I have had great success with Kessil.

I'd like to say magnesium is pretty important for these guys. They are also quick growers in my opinion and will take up calcium and carbonates (kh) from the water quickly in a 20g environment as they grow their hard skeleton.. (As you see more growth do more water changes haha)

Luckily for you the practice of 5-10g water changes weekly is actually a good way to restore elements in a balance ratio. The use of salts with higher kh, ca, and mg would be of benefit to you. Such as the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals version. You could also use, for example, Instant Ocean Regular Salt Mix and dose your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium all in dry powder forms both during watcher changes and during the middle of the week. Should you choose to skip a water change or do a smaller change than normal (say 5g instead of 10g) just dose these elements slightly more significantly.

I also can't blindly tell you to dose without encouraging you to get a test kit for these elements. Red Sea has a good one. However, you would surely be safe with just 1 or 2 doses of all 3 elements (come on don't prove me wrong and dump way too much for how much coral you have) I mentioned without testing if not just for the continued growth of coralline algae. Corals would prefer the stability achieved from more frequent smaller, ideally daily, doses of elements.
I do a 5g water change every week ever since my cycle was done and I use the instance ocean crystals I had my tank for about almost 3months

Sent from my XT1528 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Mil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You should be fine to add it now. You won't need to add anything for quite some time unless this is a large colony. A 2 or 3 headed frag should be able to be supported by water changes alone.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Orange County
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil26 View Post
I do a 5g water change every week ever since my cycle was done and I use the instance ocean crystals I had my tank for about almost 3months

Sent from my XT1528 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
You could probably hold off on dosing. I'd look into things like fatty acids, and other coral supplements not in salt mix.
__________________
Reefer James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Just feed the fish and you'll be fine.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil26 View Post
that is the exact light I have on my 50 gallon and my torch and hammer are doing excellent.
you have the lighting covered.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 6,929
Dimmable Marsaqua 165W LED Aquarium Light True Watts 120W5 Reef Coral Fish | eBay
Same light cheaper IMO.
20 x tall not just 20 t.
Like 2 10 g stacked upright>
20x10x24?
__________________
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11
OK now that I have the covered what the recommended phosphate 0.03? I have mine at 0.25 buts the api test kit which alot of ppl have said is useless when it comes to phosphate

Sent from my XT1528 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Mil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #14
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Orange County
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil26 View Post
OK now that I have the covered what the recommended phosphate 0.03? I have mine at 0.25 buts the api test kit which alot of ppl have said is useless when it comes to phosphate

Sent from my XT1528 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I wouldn't be worried about phosphate.. It's pretty important for corals actually. I would not recommend aiming for a phosphate level to maintain but rather just keep your tank clean and accommodate the corals in other specific areas
__________________
Reefer James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
that is the exact light I have on my 50 gallon and my torch and hammer are doing excellent.
you have the lighting covered.
Hey PB. I just got these lights for my biocube 29. Do you have an idea of the percentage of light I should be using? My lights are about 8in from the water surface. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
bstorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coral, hammer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hammer coral placement?? jackdp Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 03-27-2004 07:27 PM
Hammer Coral Receeding yaksplat Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 03-25-2004 12:02 PM
hammer coral pipermurphy Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 02-26-2004 05:05 PM
Hammer Coral Cant get happy cj10488 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 11 10-27-2003 07:47 PM
New Hammer Coral!! d9hp New Acquisitions 11 06-22-2003 02:56 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.