Hanna vs API

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azul17

Aquarium Advice Activist
Which one should I believe In?

I have an API and every time I tested ammonia I had a hard time reading it since it was between 0ppm and .25ppm. So I bought a Hanna Checker for a more “accurate” reading and first it was reading .7ppm and today it was reading 2.0ppm while API was reading 0 to .25ppm.

Fish look fine. Do you think I got a defective one or which one should I believe in?

Hanna checkers are the accurate test kits, not API.

You're at 1 lbs per gallon of rock in the system? Since I haven't used this test kit I'm not sure if it has the ability to detect ammonia as it is being consumed as part of the nitrate cycle and it might not be a problem at all.

Hanna checkers are the accurate test kits, not API.

You're at 1 lbs per gallon of rock in the system? Since I haven't used this test kit I'm not sure if it has the ability to detect ammonia as it is being consumed as part of the nitrate cycle and it might not be a problem at all.

I have 65lb of rock plus 65lbs of live sand. All my other parameters look good.
PH 8.4
Ammonia. .0ppm API and 2.0ppm Hanna
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphates .07
Alk 10.6
Calcium 560
Magnesium 1630
Salinity 1.024

And this is an established system right? Weekly water changes too right?

Yes. I’ve been doing weekly water changes. I also did a big water change on Thursday (40%) and another one Saturday (10%) changed filter socks and replaced gfo and carbon.

Then I wouldn't be worried about it at all.

Can I ask why you are checking ammonia? I stopped checking ammonia and nitrite as soon as my tank is finished cycling.

Then I wouldn't be worried about it at all.

Can I ask why you are checking ammonia? I stopped checking ammonia and nitrite as soon as my tank is finished cycling.

I started testing for ammonia because some of my zoas and frogspawn weren’t doing well so I just decided to test for everything.

Back
Top Bottom