Harmys official 75g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok question time
how do i calculate the gph on my over flow.

im basically going to be running 2 of these.they will be 1 inch pvp each. and i know i dont need 2 but its back up just incase one loses siphon.
YouTube - My DIY marine aquarium

but im not sure how to calculate the gph of each one

p.s. my salt and my refractometer will be here tomorrow. first batch of rocks should be cured/leeched out real soon. so i need to order a ro/di unit soon

ok is this correct? from what i can find. 1 inch pvp is roughly 600gph. so 2 of them will handle 1200 gph. i think what i want to do thou is find a return pump that does between 600-700 gph and i should be ok. this way if one ever breaks siphon im still safe.

I really think you should go with a min. of 1200 gph because of head loss incured with bends and turns of your pvc and head loss due to elevation of tank above the pump.

I really think you should go with a min. of 1200 gph because of head loss incured with bends and turns of your pvc and head loss due to elevation of tank above the pump.

are you talking 1200 drain or 1200 return? i will have 1200-1400 gph draining. i was looking for between 600 and 700 gph return after head loss. tehn add in ph for the rest of water movement.

i was under the impression that i needed roughly 20x water turn over for circulation. if im doing 600gph on the return and 2x 800 gph on ph's i should be ok? or is the 15x-20x water movement generally just for the sump calculations?

You will have head loss and also on every bend in your plumbing. If your pump is to small you have to "buy" a bigger pump, if you have to much flow you can always throttle down by returning some of the water back to your sump.

so your saying between head loss, and plumbing twist and turns im likely to need around 1200 gph to get it to 600? i think thats what your saying. i thought you were saying before that i should aim for 1200 gph coming out at the end.

nothing exciting but progress is progress

img_1105477_0_19375a7c4771cbe826a3b7bbddb1a1f3.jpg

img_1105477_1_38eba69f99597aa2d01db4ca9234885d.jpg

img_1105477_2_0bfaf4a626d1abce2477493726af1029.jpg

ya i agree. i love reading peoples tank builds. you can get ideas, learn from mistakes and you get to use hindsight and see what an idea did down the road. plus you get to see there imagination at work since aquariums are like snow flakes. no 2 are alike.

i have never worked with wood before or pvc pipe. never really been a diy person and so im really excited about the progress so far. my diy rocks i think are coming out amazing. and at 33cent a pound its great. my diy stand looks nice so i cant complain. and working on the diy sump/over flow now. hope it works out lol

Are you making many caves with your rock? I find balloons are awesome for making caves/tunnels. My tank has now been ordered so I'm getting excited (I was going to make my own tank but nobody could get me the glass and guarantee the dimensions of the glass be accurate to 1/16")

im making some caves. i use cut up pvc pipe. i just pour around the pipe. then pull the pipe out and then fill the hole with sand.

so your saying between head loss, and plumbing twist and turns im likely to need around 1200 gph to get it to 600? i think thats what your saying. i thought you were saying before that i should aim for 1200 gph coming out at the end.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. If it's a little to much you can always divert back to the sump.

ok got some gifts last night. ill post pics later.

one will allow me to make 400 gallons of salt water and the other will allow me to tell how much salt is in the water

Gifts are always nice. Wow, 400g...you starting a public Aquarium? hahaha lol

Gifts are always nice. Wow, 400g...you starting a public Aquarium? hahaha lol
lol not yet. lol. my lfs sells 200g for 92.99. that pet place sells it for 42.99 and they have/had 6.99 flat shipping. so got 2 boxes for the price of one.

Back
Top Bottom