Hatching Brine Shrimp Eggs -- Clarifying Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbaboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After hours of research, I've compiled a couple of questions I still have about brine shrimp and the hatching of them. Any help would be appreciated, and as always: :thanks:

(NOTE: I have the San Francisco Bay Brine Shrimp eggs *supposedly their hatch rate is decent)

1) Do i need to freeze the eggs? Right now they are in a air-tight vial and I've read online that if you put them in a freezer they last longer.

2) When I finish hatching the eggs and I use an oral syringe to siphon the live brine shrimp, how will I put them in a freshwater tank?
(ETC: How do I rinse the brine shrimp before I put it in my tank? Do I put them in a separate container of fresh water?)

3) When is it best to start feeding these suckers to my fish? (24 hours?)

4) Will decapsulating them make the hatch rates higher?

5) If I decapsulate them, is it okay to just feed the eggs and not even worry about having them alive anymore?

Once again, thank you all!

Sorry I don't have any answers for you but I'd just like to follow along as I've wondered about some of these things myself

After hours of research, I've compiled a couple of questions I still have about brine shrimp and the hatching of them. Any help would be appreciated, and as always: :thanks: (NOTE: I have the San Francisco Bay Brine Shrimp eggs *supposedly their hatch rate is decent) 1) Do i need to freeze the eggs? Right now they are in a air-tight vial and I've read online that if you put them in a freezer they last longer. 2) When I finish hatching the eggs and I use an oral syringe to siphon the live brine shrimp, how will I put them in a freshwater tank? (ETC: How do I rinse the brine shrimp before I put it in my tank? Do I put them in a separate container of fresh water?) 3) When is it best to start feeding these suckers to my fish? (24 hours?) 4) Will decapsulating them make the hatch rates higher? 5) If I decapsulate them, is it okay to just feed the eggs and not even worry about having them alive anymore? Once again, thank you all!

1. Don't know.
2. Leave shrimp in brine. Siphon out what you will feed and dump it into a brine shrimp net to drain. Then dump net contents(the shrimp) into tank. You can start feeding immediately if for small fish fry or wait 24 hrs for larger fish.
4.decapsulation has been shown to help with hatch rates but not beyond the hatch rates of the source eggs. Also decapsulation removed the shell so it doesn't get ingested and possibly injure fish internally.
5. You can feed decapsulated eggs directly. Usually these are the in hatched eggs that are left. Deciding on hatching or not depends on the what you are using them for.

Back
Top Bottom