Heating issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of you know I got a Nova Extreme Pro yesterday. I need some help with my water temp I am pretty sure some of you saw this thread coming.;)...lol... But anyways What can I do to keep my water temp stable yesterday I notice it went up to 80degress and this morning since I have no Lunar lights it went down too 78.1degress. I have my heater set to 79. What can I do to fix this small issue?

Let me know...

Thanks
:D

A 2 deg temp swing is nothing to worry about. I have yet to use a heater that has an accurate thermostat. I highly suggest the Ranco temp controllers. You can use either a 1 stage to control your heaters or a 2 stage to control the heater and fans/chiller.
ETC Prewired - The Ranco ETC Store

Small changes like that I wouldn't sweat it. In the ocean the water temperature varies during the day and night cycle as well. Especially at the depths the hobbiest tries to recreate.

Pop your heater to 80, that will most probably get you 79 if that's what you're shooting for

Small changes like that I wouldn't sweat it. In the ocean the water temperature varies during the day and night cycle as well. Especially at the depths the hobbiest tries to recreate.

Pop your heater to 80, that will most probably get you 79 if that's what you're shooting for

What about when my lights are on for more than 6hr will that be bad for coral with water temp being 2degress warmer?

While I agree a 2 degree swing is pretty normal, if it bothers you, get a little 6" clamp on fan and blow across the top of your tank. You'll be amazed how much it cools things off. (And be prepared to increase the amount of your top off due to evaporation.)

Yeah I notice this morning I had to top off with almost 8 cups of water and that was less than 12 hrs.... lol

What is it that's actually creating the heat is it the Ballast or the Bulbs? I did not think fluorescent lights get extremely hot. Or is it a combination of both?

The bulbs put off a lot of heat and they are pointing right at the water so they warm the water. As the others said the swing you are seeing isn't bad at all. I get a swing of about 1.6 degrees during the day/night cycle on my tank.

Decent heaters promise accurate heating within + or - 1 degree. That sounds like exactly what you're getting. I always have a little swing. anything more than 2 and it may become a little too stressful on the livestock. I had a piece of crap Odyssea heater that made my 10 gal 72 in the morning and 81 in the evening...when it started doing that (after about a year), I threw it in the trash and got a Marineland Vis-A-Therm. It's been outstanding, and gives me ........+ or - 1 degree

Thanks guys I thought I would have to buy a chiller or something.... thanks for all your input... (y)

well....in IL it gets pretty hot in the summer...i used to go there a lot then. lots of upper 90's and 100 degree days. you may still need that chiller. the fans may work, but don't let it get too hot on you. i live in TX, and I do ok without any chillers. Sometimes you may need to float some frozen water bottles for a temp drop if it gets outta hand

well....in IL it gets pretty hot in the summer...i used to go there a lot then. lots of upper 90's and 100 degree days. you may still need that chiller. the fans may work, but don't let it get too hot on you. i live in TX, and I do ok without any chillers. Sometimes you may need to float some frozen water bottles for a temp drop if it gets outta hand

Wow that is good ideal. I will have to remeber that one

I subscribe to the magazines FAMA (fresh water and marine aquariums), and Aquarium Fish International. There's always a lot of helpful husbandry hints in there. I recommend both to anyone....i prefer FAMA of the two. the other has too much freshwater

It's funny that you say that I have Central air and heat in my place and one of the air vents are right by the tank so it keeps it pretty cool in the summer time....

sweet...that helps a bunch!!! just keep the A/C going and your cool...sometimes it's hard with the high elec. bills and all.

If your house is air conditioned you`ll be OK. It`s not like the tank is sitting outside.

Back
Top Bottom