Hello, need advise on lights VHO vers POWER COMPACTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfishtoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 55 gallon with live rock, fish, coral. Want to change my old light which is a VHO 4X110 total 440 watts to a 48" Orbit Etreme with 4x130w power compact and lunar lights for total of 520 watts.

Please if anyone has or is still using this type of light what are your opinion on this light. I would like to have clams and basically be able to put most any kind of coral in my tank.

thanks for all you time and information
bigfishtoo.... :lol:

I`m thinking with that wattage you should be OK. I saw a thread not to long ago where someone had SPS corals with PC`s. They just dont have the intensity that MH`s have. I have the VHO`s. As I said you should be good to go.

"Any kind" of coral is a strech. I do agree that the Orbit unit is an upgrade and you should be able to keep most animals (some SPS and clams) I would still stay away from high light demanding corals such as acropora sp. However, the light your looking at will give you a very wide variety of animals you should be able to keep.

Can anyone tell me if they are using a orbit light and how do the hold up. Anyone have problems with getting parts later on in time from orbit. Spending $500 on a light is a big investment but worth it, if it holds up. Does anyone know of a better light for a 55 gallon that will not produce a lot of extra heat to tank. So, I keep my VHO light or spend money for the orbit?

Please all the advise is welcome! this is a great site to get advise and to learn great things about Aquariums!!!!!!!!

Bigfishtoo

Back
Top Bottom