Hello NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ML42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so some background info, I started cycling my nano SW tank since saturday 6/9/12, I am using the shrimp sit there and rot method, and some purple bottle stuff called BIO-SPIRA.

Hardware on the Tank:
Fluval 206
40lbs of LR
T5Light

So the help I need is with my regardings taken 6/13/12 today.
High PH : 7.8
Amonia: .25
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 40
Hydrometer reading 1.020

The tank has about 6-8 shrimp rotting inside a nylon, IDK if thats to much or what so I guess I need some help with how my general tank so far is doing.

I also plan to put in LR by friday and monitor the parameters for the next 5 days or so.:confused::banghead::hide:

Need help please!!!!!

Okay so some background info, I started cycling my nano SW tank since saturday 6/9/12, I am using the shrimp sit there and rot method, and some purple bottle stuff called BIO-SPIRA.

Hardware on the Tank:
Fluval 206
40lbs of LR
T5Light

So the help I need is with my regardings taken 6/13/12 today.
High PH : 7.8
Amonia: .25
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 40
Hydrometer reading 1.020

The tank has about 6-8 shrimp rotting inside a nylon, IDK if thats to much or what so I guess I need some help with how my general tank so far is doing.

I also plan to put in LR by friday and monitor the parameters for the next 5 days or so.:hide::banghead::confused:

its a 30g, I had a full set up before I moved but I was given that one rather than started from scratch, so i know how to keep parameters at level just not how to start cycling my tank.....lol IDK if that makes sense.:thanks:

I would take out all the shrimp at this point and let it do it's thing. It will cycle faster at 84-85f. Keep lights off and water moving give it a few weeks. No water changes at all until ammonia and trites are 0 and you have Trates. expect a month wait. The live rock will help speed it up a little.

Readingexcalibur said:
I would take out all the shrimp at this point and let it do it's thing. It will cycle faster at 84-85f. Keep lights off and water moving give it a few weeks. No water changes at all until ammonia and trites are 0 and you have Trates. expect a month wait. The live rock will help speed it up a little.

I agree with taking the shrimp out at this point. However the OP has a complete nitrogen cycle. Doing a water change at this point would not harm anything and allow you to start reducing the nitrates that are accumulating. Adding live rock in a few days will only exacerbate and prolong the cycle anyways.

Grats on starting up a SW tank. The best advice that can be given to you is to be patient. It takes lots of time for this hobby. It is going to end up taking you around a month to get your tank cycled. While you are monitoring your cycle, take this time to research what you want to put into your tank. Will you be doing a reef or fish only setup? How large is your tank? You will want to have 1-1.5 lbs of LR in your tank per gallon. The same applies for sand.

Once you decide what your tank is going to be, we can help you from there.

That's way too many shrimp. One is enough to get the cycle going.
Also raise your salinity. Natural seawater is 1.026.

okay a little update, so this morning took out all of the shrimp left a single one, checked my parameters again and the results are this:

amonia .25-.50 cant really tell the color of the green

nitrite: 2.0

nitrate: 20ppm

hydrometer reading G29 S1.021

another thing water temp about 80-84 for bacterial grotwh

I was told yesterday by my LFS to add the live rock so as I am posting I am awaiting 25lbs of LR, I do not know if it is going to help cycle my tank.

by the way its just a 30gallon (Fish only)

thanks for all the replies I am eager to get this tank going.:thanks::hide::D:ROFLMAO:

It's not going to really help cycle the tank but that is your main surface area for the bacteria to grow on.

ok so I didi another reading once again
ammonia is still at .25
Nitrite is at 2.0 or 5.0 couldn't really tell the color
nitrate is at 40-8-0 shrimp are out so i do not know what could be degrading my water. (the water also is not tap it is distilled because I wanted to start out clean but at the same time there was a premix from my previous tank of 5g seeded water)
I also did a 20% H2O change

Hydrometer reading now was @30 1.022

the reading where done after the change.
My LR is supposed to arrive tomorrow IDK if this will offset my tank even more.:banghead:

Take out the shrimp, no need for it anymore. If you keep feeding the cycle you are going to end up with a crap load of nitrates and phosphates, and in turn you will have one heck of an algae bloom. Also sand and rock will absorb this and release it in the future causing problems. Take out shrimp and do partial water change.

like i said previously the shrimp have been out for about 30hrs or so right now what i was thinking of doing was a 25-40% h2O change, to lower my nitrates, but also getting it ready for my LR tomorrow, IDK my other SW was never this much of a problem, but also my last reading for the day showed

ammonia .25 idk y it wont move up or down
nitrite 40.
nitrate 40.

with these parameters i will be lucky if my LR tomorrow doesn't die instantly with the quality of that water:banghead::hide::huh::confused::facepalm:

Chill dude (had to say that).
You just started your cycle and the stuff you added only helped nudge your bacteria along. They still need to get established in the tank. Put the LR in and keep an eye on things. Some of the stuff on the rocks may even die but not much. With those nitrite readings you should be ok with a pwc being done and still having the nitrites you need to feed the rest of the cycle. But it still should take a couple weeks before your tank is fully ready. And you may need to add amm again once the levels hit 0

Even with my shrimp out for 3 weeks, my trites still climbed. So expect the same. Ammonia up then down, trites up, then down (4 weeks later), Trates up, water change.

I am only in this hobby 4 months now, and still a huge newbie. I've kept FW for years and it is alike. Patients is key and that is it! I can't wait to see pics of your setup when it's all said and done! :)

Back
Top Bottom