help, advice needed setting up a fluval venezia tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaykay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have the cabinet built and the tank in place, now its connecting the filter system and pipes to the tank....worried about things not being fitted correct and water spillage when the tank is filled!!

If its a hose to barb connection, just make sure its pushed on there snugly, for threaded make sure its snug too. There are only two hoses and 4 connections (If it's the model I'm thinking of.) Good luck!

and when the manual says fill the tank half way and switch the filter on to test it...but the pipes which come out of the filter into the tank are quite tall...so would the water have to cover these for the filter to work?

Your intake height should be well below half way. That's all that matters, that the intake be submerged

The tank meaning the aquarium or the filter tank? The intake pipe has to be submerged in order for the filter to work.

I'm not sure if this helps but here's what I would do to set it up:

1) put media in the filter
2) put water in the filter tank
3) put the lid on
4) attach the hoses
5) prime the pump (if possible on your model of filter)
6) plug it in

I would not worry about it being saltwater at this point either. They are just having you check the pump and connections before you get too far along.

has anyone ever had problems with tanks leaking? my dad has told me if any damage occurs ive got to pay for it etc....now im worried

Never had one but I assume the bulkheads (the connections that span the hose from in tank to outside the tank) came pre-installed. If that's the case then other then some minor connections leaks it should be pretty str8 forward.

At most, over time, you may get some drips that require attention but full scale failure is unlikely.

What size?

its a 190litre tank, and its in my bedroom upstairs, im picturing leaks and the floor falling through! yeah the main connections were installed already, its just a matter of connecting the piping.

Just checked the install manual. The are quick connects so you shouldn't have any problems with the connections.

my dad has told me if any damage occurs ive got to pay for it etc....now im worried

My parents said the same thing to me three years ago and I haven't had a catastrophic failure in any of my tanks since. (except one time a siphon started in an air line.. but it was minor.) As long as the tank is on a sturdy stand and a sturdy floor you should be fine.

Kewl, just follow the directions and you should be good to go. 50G is a nice size (190L) to start w/

ok thanks. also i have a freshwater tank already set up and the filter has been playing up even though its a week old, its now packed up completely, will my fish be ok till morning when i get a replacement?

with regards to location of an aquarium can anyone recommend if my tank would be better in a living room rather than an upstairs bedroom? also if leaking did occur, a tank being upstairs may cause more damage?

with regards to location of an aquarium can anyone recommend if my tank would be better in a living room rather than an upstairs bedroom? also if leaking did occur, a tank being upstairs may cause more damage?

I wouldn't stress so much about leakage and failure. If you look at the tank and wonder when its gonna break it ruins the joy of keeping fish. Just my 2 cents...

Also I would put it downstairs in a living room so everyone can enjoy it. :)

Good point PP5. Can you do a test fill outside first with freshwater then empty it and bring it inside. I know it's a pain but worth the effort this way if it leaks you can identify it fix it and re-test it, I did it with my 44 and 120 gal, it gave me peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom