Help! Algae is going crazy red and green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

s007m77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Every 3 days I am forsed to razerblade the frunt of my tank just to see inside. Now im feeding a verry light amount. I have 8 t5 bulbs on for 10h a day
Specs
Salt: 1.024
Temp 78.5
Ph8.4
Ammonia .10ppm
Nitrite .010ppm
Nitrate 1ppm
I have 5 turbo snails
1 goby
And some soft coral

What's your phosphate at? Are you using ro/di water? IMHO your bigger problem is that you have ammonia and nitrite. Your going to want to do several wc's over the next couple days to remove the ammo and trite, and assuming your using ro/di this will help your algae issues too

A am using rodi and how large of waterchanges should I do its a 90 gal with sump

How old is your tank? Reduce ligjting to only a fewchoirs a day, check your phosphate level, do partial water changes.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

O and I do not have a phosphate test kit

Get one. You need 0 ammo, 0 nitrate, 5 or less nitrate and 0 phosphate. Nitrates phosphates and excess lighting equal algae.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank is a cople months going but before me it was going for 4 years and I transported it with 1/8 watter in the tank. Same sand same live rock thanks for the help ill give it a try

It's your sand, you stirred it up when you moved the tank and all the nutrients from the sandbed are now in your water column. For future reference IMO it's best to just get new sand, pretty much the cheapest part if set up and old sand can cause problems like this.

ok so nutrients in the sand got in the watter. If I let it grow on the backof the tank along with watter changes it will fix it? .and what if my sand gets stirred slightly with watterflow?

Yeah movement from your flow is fine. Your best bet is just manually remove what you can and do a few extra wc's and maybe try reducing the lighting period a little and feed less too

BigRedsReefs1 is right, most likely that's why it's happening

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update: I have done watter changes and cleaned the tank it started comming back but not as bad as before I have used the sand vacuumed most of the sand verry well seems to have fixed the problem thanks.

Update update... after continued waterchanges it has gotten much much worse. Everything in the tank is coverd.. is there aneything elce I can do.

At this point, might be worth considering getting rid of the old sand completely. If it's still causing issue, might be time to change

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't add any new animals to the tank with ammonia and nitrite present you may lose them any clean up crew added is only a bandaid solution you want to eliminate the main issue

Ok so this is what im working on... I got most of the sand out and did 3 watterchanges over a week. Also I redused light intensity. Hopefully this works for me. The green on the walls is slowly comming back.

Back
Top Bottom