help attaching kenya tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm hoping if I can get it up and growing and my xenia and mushrooms and cabbage leather I'm gonna try to frag pieces to sell or trade. Though about getting a magnetic corner plug rack.
Read the cabbage leather you just cut a piece and glue it. Mushrooms you can slice like a pizza and glue them to a plug not sure about Xenia yet and I guess Kenya tree is easy too

Mushrooms, leathers and kenya tree you can't glue just thought I would save you the hassle of finding this out on your own. You can take the frags and lay them on a piece of whatever you are using as a frag plug and lay a piece of pantyhose over it and tie the pantyhose on the bottom side. This forces the coral to attach, pop the frags back in your tank and give them a week and they should be attached and you can remove the pantyhose. This works with mushrooms, never tried with a leather but I would think it would work there too.

Mushrooms, leathers and kenya tree you can't glue just thought I would save you the hassle of finding this out on your own. You can take the frags and lay them on a piece of whatever you are using as a frag plug and lay a piece of pantyhose over it and tie the pantyhose on the bottom side. This forces the coral to attach, pop the frags back in your tank and give them a week and they should be attached and you can remove the pantyhose. This works with mushrooms, never tried with a leather but I would think it would work there too.

I don't agree 100% with u on this. I glued my Kenya Tree to a piece of rock rubble with NO problems. Still attached as we speak. Maybe it depends on what kind of piece you have to start with?

I read soft corals produce a slime and that is why glue USUALLY doesn't work and I glued the crap out of both of my pieces and the next day one came out and was under a rock and I moved the rock the other was glued to and it came off as well and the guy I got them from tried to glue them before I did with no success

I read soft corals produce a slime and that is why glue USUALLY doesn't work and I glued the crap out of both of my pieces and the next day one came out and was under a rock and I moved the rock the other was glued to and it came off as well and the guy I got them from tried to glue them before I did with no success

Well maybe I got lucky then. Bc I had no problems at all with gluing mine down lol

kenya and xienia both tend to oozz so its hard to glue best to either tie it on a piece of rubble or like fish fry said panty hose work too just never thought of that

kenya and xienia both tend to oozz so its hard to glue best to either tie it on a piece of rubble or like fish fry said panty hose work too just never thought of that

I've only ever done it once and just that one time only and had no problem so like I said, guess I got lucky lol was just like gluing a piece of Sps lol

not saying can't be done its just never 100% it's going to stay
I did it that way once with no success so I just like the string method seems to work for me better now on other corals glue all the way(y)(y)

I'm just speaking from my experience. And I have plenty, I have fragged mushrooms, xenia, zoas, kenya tree all kinds of softies. I have had luck getting the corals to stick with glue but it never holds long term for me. I put my frags in the tank and the flow eventually pulls them loose and they wind up behind the rocks never to be seen again. The panty hose works well on mushrooms because it forces them to attach naturally. Anything like kenya tree or xenia I tie with thread, I keep some clean oyster shells in my tank just for this purpose, they make great frag plugs.

I like the shell idea. I don't like plus because I don't have a lot of places to stick them I made a frag rack out of eggcrate for my new 9 frags I'm buying tomorrow. Some I already have but for $50 not gonna turn them down

Polythoas
Blassto
Kenya tree
Pulsating xenia
cabbage leather
Devils hand leather
Dragons eye polyp
Candy cane
Birds nest

Sounds like an awesome deal! And yes the oyster shell is great. I actually pick them up from a local park where they put them down for a driveway. I take them home and boil them in a pot of water on the stove to make sure they are nice and clean,.then rinse them in ro/di water a few times and drop them in my tank to let them become alive. You can break them with a hammer to get wherever size and shape pieces you need.

Sounds like an awesome deal! And yes the oyster shell is great. I actually pick them up from a local park where they put them down for a driveway. I take them home and boil them in a pot of water on the stove to make sure they are nice and clean,.then rinse them in ro/di water a few times and drop them in my tank to let them become alive. You can break them with a hammer to get wherever size and shape pieces you need.

Yeah he's trying to get me to buy a bambam polyp for $15 more I'm gonna look for shells. Could I use freshwater mussel shells. I can pick up tons at river

my wife found me a bunch of scallop shells at the dollar store that I plan on using for adding frags there just too nice to smash though thinking of making a zoa garden with them who knows what else(y)

Attachments

• c 001.jpg
    c 001.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 47
  • c 002.jpg
    c 002.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 57
Yeah you can use any type of shell just make sure they are clean before using them. Those scallop shells are going to look nice full of frags. About the bam bam zoas I think the "designer zoas" are way overpriced. $15 for one polyp is crazy, if it was a 5 plus head frag yeah but one single polyp I dont see it. Have you ever checked out reefs2go.com? They have an email service you can sign up for and they send you alerts about sales they are having so often. I ordered 5 different zoa frags from them about a month ago and they were all 5 plus heads I paid 30 dollars shipping included.

Back
Top Bottom