Help Bro. & Sis. Beginner Concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok! Thanx! Is there any website provide information on how to read a test kit and what is the solution if ever that I have a high result for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and Ph

I see one of my problem right now is temperature because of the summer, temp. Reading that I get is 30c to 34c what will I do.

The test kit should come with a package insert that tells you how to read it.

The best solution for high results on ammonia, nitrtite, nitrate and phosphate is water changes with good water. pH should likewise balance out with water changes and good water. If you want more detailed info, you can use the search link on this forum for other ideas.

Heat: If you can find light diffuser grid aka "egg crate" in the lighting section of your local hardware store, trim some of that to fit the top of your tank (in place of your hood), and rest your lights on that. Then put a fan blowing down onto the water. This will help lower the temp a few degrees. If you had a big tank and a big budget, you could consider getting a chiller.

You can raise your alkilinity and pH with baking soda, but it's really not a good idea. Your saltwater mix should have the correct alkilinity and pH, and water changes will bring the tank back into balance.

31C-35C is 88F-95F for a tank temp?? Is that the temp of your house as well? Even fans or a chiller are not going to get the temp down if your house runs that hot. Most either can do is about 5-10 degree difference but the room has to be cooler as well.

I’d seriously invest in a window AC unit for the room your tank is in along with adding two fans.

Also tank temp shouldn’t fluctuate, keeping your tank anywhere from 76F-82F (24C-28C) degrees is ok but make sure the temp stays constant. You do not want temp swings greater then 2 degrees during the day/night cycles. If increasing/decreasing temps do it slowly 1-2 degrees per day.

Just curious where do you live that it’s 35C in the house? Can you get a window AC unit? They usually run around $150-$200 but would be cheaper then a chiller.

not knowing how efficient the chillers are, I'm just curious, but would it be cheaper in the long run to buy a chiller since window a/c units aren't known for their efficiency?

elzool said:
not knowing how efficient the chillers are, I'm just curious, but would it be cheaper in the long run to buy a chiller since window a/c units aren't known for their efficiency?
Talk about inefficiency. A chiller cools the water, then spits the heat into the room, which gets absorbed by the aquarium over time....

Unless you can vent the chiller's heat dissipation coils to the outdoors, you're actually heating the room while chilling the tank. It's like trying to stay cool by leaving the refrigerator door open.

I understand why it’s so hot now :( You guys don’t cool off till June usually and even then it’s in the upper 70’s (25C).

Found a AC unit on Ebay (Philippines) going for 13,000.00 Pesos ($250.00 US) & another one for 9,500 so it looks like they are somewhat reasonable.

Fish can tolerate that kind of heat for a short while but eventually it will lead to trouble. A chiller isn’t going to cut it for this kind of year round hot climate.

P.S. Found a 3 bedroom house for $29,000 US also 8O

I have a live SWF right now and thanx! for the advice...

by the way I have 30 kilos of LR is that enough for my 50gal?

finest said:
by the way I have 30 kilos of LR is that enough for my 50gal?
That's 66 lbs? That sounds about right for most types of live rock. (Denisty varies greatly by source.) Use your eye as judgement, you want a fairly impressive rock wall, with caves and ledges for the fish to hide in/under.

I’m just afraid because of the weight of the LR it may break the glass or it’s just fine.

The glass can hold the weight, the problem comes with "point loads" (if all the weight is foccused on a single point.) Many people put some kind of hard plastic sheet under the rocks, such as the "starboard" cutting board material, or light diffuser grid. I've also seen assemblies of PVC to keep the rock up off the glass. Simply leaving a good layer of sand under the rock can also alliviate the problem, but is not as stable in the long run as some fish and inverts will dig in the sand, and may destabilize the rock.

ok! do you know some information about marine beta...

I like to add 10 kilos of LR again so all in all it will be 40 kilos, so do you think my aquarium can hold this weight.

finest said:
ok! do you know some information about marine beta...

I like to add 10 kilos of LR again so all in all it will be 40 kilos, so do you think my aquarium can hold this weight.
I don't know about marine bettas, but here's a website: http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/marine-betta-calloplesiops-altivelis.html

As far as the rock goes, is your rock on top of the sand/gravel? If so, I think you'll be fine, just make sure your pile is stable, falling rocks can damage the ront/back glass.

Back
Top Bottom