Help choosing a reef light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thorn Walthall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the hobby and have a 220 gal fowlr and had it running for little over a Yr bought it all set up and running I'm wanting to add some coral but having a hard time on choosing the right light for my setup any help will help

What are the dimensions of the tank and what direction would you like to go with the corals. Also if you have a budget what are you looking at cause reef lighting can't get very pricey.

Its 60"l 40" w 40" d I'm not really sure on the corals my favorite is the frog spawn and aneomes I like the flowing type of coral but anything with lots of color catches my eye I like

I would like to stay 300 or below but if I can get something that will work much better for a little more I would go that route

Your gonna have a lot of trouble finding any light that can grow coral at 40" under $300. You'll need leds or MH to light that depth and I would say if your on a budget you'll need to get 2-3 taotonics fixtures

Im sorry I gave you the wrong measurements after I measured it didn't look to be that big its 60 l 30 w and 22 d I was think a 48" light would work that's what's on it now just a flouresent fixture but it lights the tank well

For your price range and depth I'd still say taotonics dimmable kind

I'm not sure there's a bunch of people on here using them so post a new thread about em and I know you'll get some responses in no time

After reading a lot of reviews on that fixture I'm not sure that's the light for me due to the fans being super noisy

Back
Top Bottom