Help for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trackfast

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I just got my tank started. I'm cycling with live sand and live rock. I had a dead shrimp in but it was removed after two days. I started seeing bubbles in the sand bed so I think the sand is active. I purchased some live rock but I'm not sure if it's active or fully cured. The rock has good color and I'm thinking it's coralline. I attached some pix. Thanks for your time.:p

Attachments

• CORALLINE2 (1).jpg
    CORALLINE2 (1).jpg
    222 KB · Views: 58
  • CORALLINE2.jpg
    CORALLINE2.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 52
Purchase a beginners test kit and monitor your tank as it goes through the nitrogen cycle. Once the ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you see some nitrates, your good to go.

As for the bubbles in the substrate, take a stick and move it about to get the bubbles out. The sand is not active.

Nice coloration on that live rock.

Test kit is the best way to check during and after the cycle. I left my shrimp in there for the whole cycle, approximately 2weeks and it was pretty much gone at the end.

Steve

The rock looks good. I agree with the others, pick up a reef master test kit and see what your parameters look like. Since you have started out with LS and LR you might not see much of a cycle though you will need to test to make sure.

Check out the article section of the site for information on cycling your tank.

Thanks Steve and ChizerBunoi for the replies. I did stir up the sand bed before putting in the rock and the bubbles reformed. My test kit is on the way (being shipped) and I'm in no hurry so I won't be putting fish for a while anyway. I didn't leave the shrimp in long bc I shredded it before putting it in (more surface area) and I figured the live rock/sand didn't need it.

Yes that is coraline algae. It will range in its color from red to purple. If you find the ammonia to be quite high and the coraline to be peeling off the rock then its not fully cured yet. But some live rock die off is common depending on how long it was out of the water from the lfs to your tank.

Got my test kit today; API Saltwater Master. My pH is at 8.4; everything else is at 0. I thought there'd be some ammonia with the shrimp I had in there for two days. Should I throw in a pinch of food to see if there is some change in the levels? I 'm NOT in any hurry but the science part of this does interest me.

hye....welcome to AA....yes, i would definitely suggesting to put back the raw shrimp....IMO 2days is not enough time for the ammonia to be there...try to put back the raw shrimp/fish food and test the water 3-5days later....ammonia should be maintain 1-4ppm as alwayz mentioned....

i think the bubbles is just nitrogen rising to the surface, from the bacteria converting whatever it's feeding off of now. i wouldn't worry about it.
that coralline will probably die from the cycle, but again, don't worry, those rocks will be a totally different color eventually.

I agree with abdhalim... A couple more days just to be sure. Also, you might want to read some articles on cycling...they are very helpful and one of the best places to start.

Shrimp's back in the tank; I've got my powerhead, filter (no charcoal, just sponge material) and heater going. I'm going to test the water in another two or three days. I did see some really thin worms emerge from the rocks. Spaghetti worms? Tube worms? Anyway, I've got all the time in the world to cycle. Thanks again to everyone that added comments. :D

No prob. Welcome to AA. You're on the right track. No need to cut it up. I placed it in a mesh bag. I've got a 120g with a 30g sump so I went with three raw shrimp.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom