Help getting started a jewel rio 300

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiamose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello and good morning, could anybody help me on what models etc I need for a jewel rio 300, I need a protein skimmer, heater FTC and just want some advice on the bet products to go for. The tank holds 350 litres, thank you in advance, PS I already have a 100 litre nano and upgrading as I've caught the bug well and truly, I inherited the tank a few weeks ago so once the water on my new tank is up and ready, (I know it will be along time, I'll be gradually putting my babies from my current tank in to the new one) but buying new live rock as I want to keep the other tank running with the live rock and inverts I already have growing and living beautifully in my 100 litre so it will be just my fishes and a couple of the larger inverts that will be going in to the new tank in 3-4 months time (unless you think should leave it even longer, please help and advice me as I'm really new, like I said only had my 100 litre tank a couple of weeks but they need more room) thank you again in advance from Jennie

you will be able to add the inhabitants and rock from the small tank right after the cycle. i don't see it taking more than a month.
i don't know how you added livestock safely to your 100 liter tank after a couple weeks.
as for a protein skimmer, do you need an in-sump skimmer or will you be purchasing a hang-on style unit?
if it's the best hang on unit, i would go with something like this:
Super Reef Octopus LX2000s Hang-on Protein Skimmer
for heaters i would go with a pair of smaller heaters instead of a single, large one. the idea is if one fails, the other will maintain the system until you can address it.

Thank you for replying I was hoping someone would. Regarding my 100 litre tank. I've had the tank two weeks as I inherited it but it has been up and running for 9 months now. I want a sump if that helps. From Jennie

Do you know of any good heaters as well. I'm very lucky as my marine Aquatics shop that I go to is extremely helpful everytime I go and see him he takes the time to give me advice and not trying to flog me stuff I either don't need or shouldn't have. So I'm hoping anything that is suggested he will help me to purchase. At the beginning how often do u do a water change etc. Like I said I inherited the 100 litre tank so never have done a cycle etc just straight to enjoying my new found hobby. Taking very good care of them with everything they need. Last question I will be wanting to buy two new fish only to add to my excisting crew. So do I buy the new fish first and put them in the tank then add the other five or the other way round after a few weeks of each other. I already have a yellow tailed blue damselfish she is not aggressive just a little bossy. She was the last one introduced to my tank ( I didnt buy her, the last owner did)

if you will add a sump then you will need an in-sump skimmer. there are many to choose from. there is no limit to what you can spend on a skimmer but i found reef octopus, MSX, and SWC skimmers to be quite efficient for the money. i'm not sure about heaters as i was always an advocate to visitherm stealth heaters, until i heard a few horror stories about them malfunctioning. these look interesting, but a little pricey-
http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_True...um_Heaters-JBJ_Lighting-JB1531-FIHTTH-vi.html
quite frankly, i would get rid of the damsel. either way you add the new fish /old fish, you could be fine, or have some aggression. it's entirely up to the fish. the good thing is the environment is new to everyone.

Last edited:
How could I just get rid of my damsel. Firstly I don't know anyone who keeps marines and secondly she's just a little bossy not aggressive or horrid just bossy. My flame firefish is my most docile fish in the tank and besides at night time whe she's gone to her rock she is always out and if my damsel gets a little over the top my flame does sort her out and then the damsel will stop until the following day. And she's only like it when it's nearly time for her food. Also she's my 3 year old little girls favourite. I know your just helping me but I can't have that as an option. Regarding sand. Am I better of buying live sand or maturing my own sand as it will become live. Also what could I do with my 100 litre tank. Could i leave the damsel in there with some snails or something or would she be to lonely oh and we found a porceline crab a few days after we got the tank that the last owner never know about so must be a hitch hiker he is so fast he will have to stay the last owner only had it 8 months and just couldnt be bothered any more criminal Thank you so much for replying you are the only one that's helped me I really do appreciate it.

you are better off buying dry aragonite based sand and letting it become live on it's own.
you could leave the damsel in it's own tank. that would be a good solution.

Back
Top Bottom