help help again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycfatcow

Aquarium Advice Freak
hmmm but i already bought the CC and already build the Undergravel Jet for my tank. The power head i bought is too strong to just run on its own.. its 800gph!!! also i had this crazy idea of going to the beach and catching my own fish? can i do that or will the fish just die? also will the fish that i get from the ocean contaminate my LS, LR, and everythign in general???

First off you need to do your research before you start the tanks up. Secondly, it will be much easier to get the ugf out now rather than later, and I guarantee you that you will be taking out eventually. 800gph is way too much to just move water, even if it were hooked up to an ugf. Are you sure it doesn't say 800 litres per hour? The cc will work just fine. That's what I have in both my tanks now. And since you already have it, if it's what you want then go ahead and use it. I don't know about your states laws but most states have some kind of laws regarding harvesting off of the reefs. And yes, anything you put in the tank, that comes out of the ocean could contaminate your tank but that's what a qt is for. Please do some more research before you go any further. The ugf will be a problem especially if you plan on having live rock.

i have an under ground JET system. it is totally opposite from the UGF. my system spits out water to prevent anything from settling onto the bottom of the tank. I made this out from PvC piping. it have % jets. so techniqually i have 5 powerheads in my tank shooting out like 130 gph each. So you guys are suggesting me to set up a quartine tank? wahts a big enough tank for that? 10 gal?
my main tank is only 30 gal....?

10 gallon is fine for a qt tank. You leave new arrivals in there for at least 2 weeks so that if it gets sick/ich you can treat it without it spreading to your other animals. Is your JET system just like a reverse flow ugf? It pushes air down into the plate and forces the crap out of the gravel instead of pulling it into it? And like I said 800gph especially in a 30 gallon tank is just going to blast your tank to hell and back. Your ph should push appx 10 times your tank volume. I have one ph in my 20 that pushes about 375gph and it is almost too much movement.

The problem with catch fish in the waters off NYC is that they are cold water fish and so you will probably need to cool the water instead of heating it. People do catch and keep local fish but if you do then thats all you should keep in the tank. Fish you by in store are tropical and would not do well in cooler waters required for local fish.

I was planning on going to jones beach and catching some fish to put into my empty tank. Honestly i didnt even set it up yet. Im waiting for all my equipment to come in. UG Jet shoots out water instead of sucking the crap in, basically a reverse UGF, it prevents crap from settling. So i should catch the fish put it into a 10 gallon? do i need rocks or gravel in the QT tank? And i know that my power head is really stong, but its shooting out of 5 different jets dispersing the flow....IOno i just want some suggestions on whatever you guys think?

You don't need anything in your qt. You could put a plain coffee cup in it so they can hide and feel safe though. You need a heater, a small filter, and some kind of light. The light doesn't need to be fancy, just something to give him the feeling of daytime and nighttime.

Um...what do you plan on catching at jones beach that you want to keep in a tank...and how do you plan on catching it? Not gonna be able to really keep anything you catch surf casting

ohh i found out that this place isnt really jones beach. What i was planning to do is make a large mesh net and basically sweep the floor to see waht i can get. WHen i was a little kid i remember catching some crazy stuff, mini crabs, hermits crabs, Sw angels, sea horses, puffers.....

Back
Top Bottom