help help saltwater experts!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycfatcow

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am just starting to set up my 30g saltwater tank. I am planning on to run 2 aquaclear 500 and a 800gph under gravel jet system. I already bought live sand and crushed coral. I am planning on to add live rocks into my tank. I wanted to know when do i introduce the rocks? how much are they per lb? how many lbs do i need? Do i have the right equpiment for my tank? Do i need a protein skimmer? Sorry for all the questions but im a reall newbie when it comes to saltwater thanks for reading please REPLY!!!!

I would skip the undergravel system and use the power heads for circulation. It is recommended that you get 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon. I would get at least 40-45 lbs. LR costs around 7.00/lb here in Texas. You could get base rock and live rock and it wouldn't cost as much. You could go to www.hirocks.com and buy 20-30 pounds of base and then the rest in live rock.

You add the rock in the beginning and it will help you cycle your tank. A protein skimmer would help a bunch. You didnt mention water heater or salinity meter and test kit (don't forget those).

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
under gravel jet system.
I would reconsider using an UGF for saltwater. It is pretty out-dated equaipment.
With LR and LS you just do not need it.
I already bought live sand and crushed coral.
I would suggest going with just sand as a substrate and leave out the CC. The san is smaller and it will just settle to the bottom of the tank lwaving the CC on top. Without regualr cleaning the CC can trap detritus and cause NO3 to climb. LS is a lot easer to take care of.
when do i introduce the rocks?
You can introduce them in the beging to kick off the cycle if you want.
Do i need a protein skimmer?
No you do need one, but I recommend it. It will only help with water quality.
You should also consider picking up a book on SW tanks. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner.

Ditch the UGF
Ditch the crushed coral
Stick with sugar grain sized sand, and it doesn't have to be 'live' sand.
Add the live rock as soon as the water in the tank is the right salinity and temperature, and use that to help cycle the tank (and please use a fishless cycle. there's no reason to subject healthy fish to ammonia and nitrite poisoning in this day & age).
I think skimmers are a good thing, but not 100% necessary.

hmmm but i already bought the CC and already build the Undergravel Jet for my tank. The power head i bought is too strong to just run on its own.. its 800gph!!! also i had this crazy idea of going to the beach and catching my own fish? can i do that or will the fish just die? also will the fish that i get from the ocean contaminate my LS, LR, and everythign in general???

Back
Top Bottom