HELP!!!Moving into a 25g from a 10g.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathy667

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello reefers,

I will be moving my 10g into a 25 g. I need help. Don't know where to start.

I have purchased New sand for the new tank. However, I don't know what to do with the rock. Should I put dry rock in or should I buy live rock? I don't want to start another cycle and have everything die. I want to do this as careful as possible.

I have about 10lbs of life rock on my current tank but that is not enough. So I don't know if to purchase more life rock or if to get dry rock.

I have gone to several lfs and they told me different things. At this point I am confused.

All feedback is welcome and thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you don't want to restart your cycle you're going to want to move as much beneficial bacteria hosts as you can over to the new tank. This is your live rock, your water and any other filtration media.

I would use as much water from your 10g as possible and mix another 15g to add to it. This way you're not losing your cycle.

For the rock you can get dry rock and your existing live rock will seed the dry rock and in time it will become live.

If you're getting dry rock that was once live you'll probably have die off and it might mess with your cycle if you put it directly into the tank.

But if you're going to order rock such as the reef saver rock from BRS I'm not sure if you can just rinse and put them in because they really have nothing on them to harm the tank I don't think.

Others will probably chime in and give you more advice on that. (I'd like to know too :p)

If you keep all your old rock without letting it dry out, then there shouldn't be any cycle, or really even a mini cycle. I would just feed sparingly for a coupe weeks and track the ammonia or nitrates.

Good choice on the sand, theres a nasty amount of nutrients that vet stored in there and reusing it will be a nightmare.

As for adding new rock, if it's not man made rock then you will want to cure it before adding it. I've had dry rock from brs dump a ton of ammonia into the tank before.

If you keep all your old rock without letting it dry out, then there shouldn't be any cycle, or really even a mini cycle. I would just feed sparingly for a coupe weeks and track the ammonia or nitrates.

Good choice on the sand, theres a nasty amount of nutrients that vet stored in there and reusing it will be a nightmare.

As for adding new rock, if it's not man made rock then you will want to cure it before adding it. I've had dry rock from brs dump a ton of ammonia into the tank before.

Was it the reef saver rock? I just got some in and I was considering just rinsing and scrubbing and just putting it in. Maybe I'll let it sit overnight in saltwater and test the ammonia the next day.

Was it the reef saver rock? I just got some in and I was considering just rinsing and scrubbing and just putting it in. Maybe I'll let it sit overnight in saltwater and test the ammonia the next day.
I couldn't tell you. I got a mix of 3 different types of rock.

Thanks for the feedback. I will get live cured rock and hope a cycle does not happen.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418918254.337794.jpg just in case you guys wanted to see. I decided to start brand new with this tank. We will not do the move. I stocked the tank with live Fuji pink sand a and cured live rock from FL keys.

I am enjoying this build how is your sump set up?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I am enjoying this build how is your sump set up?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't have a sump we just have set up a canister filter. We will acquire a skinner later on.

Back
Top Bottom