HELP...My tank won't cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the right way of doing thing is the best way. I know I don't know every single thing on tanks, no one does if there's so much debate on every single aspect of setting up and maintaining a tank. But from personal experience, I've always cycled my tanks with small amounts of fish.... Which increase after cycling... The levels always grow slow enough that I've never lost or stressed out any fish. To me chemicals cycling a tank just ain't natural... But that's my choice. I think the real problem is the initial advice this person got. Instead of them getting a summary of several ways of cycling and they choosing they one they preferred, they just had one, on top of other things, lol.

And I agree on the inhuman part, only when people add to many fish, cycled tank or not, just cause their tank looks empty.... Not to mention when they use goldfish as feeders... Crazy hobby isn't it!

So I'll just jump in. I agree that you are getting close to completing the cycle but you have some work to do. You now know the proper way so lets move on.

First, I really don't know if a biowheel filter is the best way to maintain a SW tank. Yes, it can be done but it is usually in addition to live rock. You mentioned going and buying some but is that what you want? If you want a fish only tank then there may be other ways to get you there instead of just getting live rock. IMO live rock is the way to go, and highly recommend it myself, but you shouldn't be pushed in a direction you don't want to go.

You really need to do a water change ASAP to get those nitrates down. 160 ppm is really high. I would start doing 3 15-20% water changes every 3-4 days and then once a week to get that down. Are you using RO/DI water or treated tap? RO/DI is going to be the best because treated tap will just end up causing algae. The water changes will also help with the nitrite because 10 ppm is also high and can cause problems for your existing fish.

What are you plans for this tank? Are you planing on getting rid of the damsels once the cycle is done or keeping them? They are pretty aggressive fish and will limit what you can have in the tank.

Man, y'all are good! Thanks again for the replies! I will start the water changes now.

My plans for my fish are to trade them back to the store I bought them from, unless that's a bad idea, and get other fish I want. I would keep them, but from my readings they are not compatible with what I really want. I bought some live "cured" rock today... Let's hope it is "live" considering the already bad advice I receive from the aquarium place.

And all, again, thanks for teach a girl new tricks! :)

Oh, new readings today before I put the cured live rock in

PH 8.3
nitrate 60ppm
nitrite 2ppm
ammonia .25ppm
Salinity 1.25

Are those readings before, or after, the water change?

If it's before, then something isn't right if your nitrates went from 160 to 60. Only way that can happen is with a 50+% water change.

As for the fish I really think that cycling with them pretty much ruined them as in reduced their life span. Unfortunately it does that.

I'm of two minds as to what to do with them. Personally I think I would return them but it sucks for the fish because the chances are, they will be sold to someone else to have them cycle the next tank... that isn't much of a life to look forward to. On the other hand, unless you are looking for a semi aggressive tank or you planned to keep them, they really won't fit in with others. Still, I think I would return them and at least get a good credit toward fish you want.

With ammonia now showing up that really shows that your cycle isn't as complete as I originally thought. I would say to keep up with water changes as I previously outlined and if you are still seeing ammonia keep up with changing the water ever 2-3 days (with fish I usually recommend every day that you see a reading but I don't know if it is needed since this has been going on for 8 weeks).

Back
Top Bottom