Help Myrionema amboinense (hydriods)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riley704

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have Myrionema amboinense (hydriods) growing on a large piece of liverock. From what I understand I pretty much have no option other than pulling this rock from the tank. It's a large piece that will have to be replaced. Should I just get another piece of liverock from my LFS or would you change it out with baserock? Also when I change thus out will it cause a mini cycle? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If you remove the hydroids, you don't really need to replace the rock. Are these colonial hydroids, or digitate hydroids? Either way if you remove the hydroids, you can put the rock back in your tank.

Well you could smear some Kalkwasser paste on them, I've been told this would work, although I've never tried it.
If you do replace the rock, if the rock is fully cured (ask the LFS how long they've had it), and you keep it submerged in transport, you won't have any cycle.

They are colony. It's a large cluster but they are still really small. I'm afraid I won't be able to get them all out. I may try the paste first to see if that does it. I just hate having to loose this rock but I'm scared it will spread if I don't handle it fast.

Take the rock out and burn them off using a lighter. Works for just about everything you don't want on your rock.

Back
Top Bottom