Help on supplies for tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rfirman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone im new here and I wanted some input on supplies. I am wanting to start up a 10 gal salt water tank. Ya I know that's not really recommended but I can't go bigger right now. Any what do I need to get it stared? I want to get clown fish with maybe some coral.

fishmonkey said:
Well...you should probably get a larger tank. You won't be able to keep a pair of clowns in a 10 gallon tank.

True, but he already said that he cant go larger :/
In a 10 gallon you will not need as much equipment as a normal sized tank, sooo

1 korolia powerhead (lower gph)
1 aquaclear 50 filter
1 set of lights (depends if you really want corals or not)
Protein skimmers are optional on small tanks, i never did it.
1 thermometer
Definitly need a lid on your tank, clowns can jump like any saltwater fish.
Will need a bucket of salt
A refractometer
Etc

What exactly do you want to do with the tank? Do you just want fish? Do you want a FOWLR? a reef?

What you get kind of depends on what kind of tank you want to build.

Thanks for the reply's. I just want like one clown fish, a chromi and like 2 corals. I am going to college and they only allow 10 gal. I might be able to swing 14 but I dont think it's likely.

And why a 50 gal filter? I only have a 10 gal. Is this just for extra or more powerful filtration?

10 gallon filter probably isnt enough in my opinion. If yiur going to get a clown in a 10 gallon you will need better filtration, so i personally went with a 50. Of course you could do something a bit less but on my saltwater tanks i like to overfilter ALOT.

10 gallon filter probably isnt enough in my opinion. If yiur going to get a clown in a 10 gallon you will need better filtration, so i personally went with a 50. Of course you could do something a bit less but on my saltwater tanks i like to overfilter ALOT.

+1 to this. ALL the manufacturers tend to overrate their filters. Going oversize helps with circulation (very important in saltwater) and gives you a safety net as well.

If you will keep corals or anemones, you need good lighting. If you stick with softies, zoas, and mushrooms, you could probably do a double T5HO lamp. More needy corals and anemones will necessitate stronger lighting.

Also get a liquid test kit covering pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The API saltwater master kit is a good one for anyone on a budget.

Thanks for all the info. Ya I'll just go higher on a filter instead of also getting a protien skimmer.

Is there any place/site that I could get cheap coral and rock?

Umm not sure about coral, but at this point you shouldnt be thinkin about coral :) reefrocks is great for rock but if your not getting much i think you should just go to an lfs and get some so you dont have to pay for shipping

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at stuff on Craig's list to see if I ca. Get any deals and this is what I found.
10gal tank
40gal filter
A heater
A couple of ugly rocks
And a yellow tang and a damsel
All this for 100

I'm pretty sure the fish will need a bigger tank but how dose this sound?

no on the damsel and no on the tang. They definitely need a bigger tank.

Other than that, I'd say yes.

Have you thought about what kind of lighting you would like?

I actually found a better deal. I'm getting it tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if I get it for sure

Nu-Nu the eel said:

I have a 50 gal filter on my 20, and it creates a tun of current! The fish love it, but it starts splashing really bad if the water level gets a little low.

Ok so I found this tank on Craig's list and bought it!
Bio cube 14 gal
A running tank with live rock and sand
Heater
Protein skimmer
And coral!
8 neon green mushroom polyps
4 Kenya trees

All for $120!

I am about to create a new thread with the picks from my tank so more people can see it so keep an eye out

Back
Top Bottom