Help! What is this crap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moog24

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do I need to do something about this or just let it run it's course?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394407554.242155.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394407577.256812.jpg

Tested my nitrates and they r at zero and I have used a phosphate pack remover still growing

The algae feeds off nitrate and phosphate so even if your getting 0 they are there. Reduce your nutrient input and increase the export (both frequency and % of water changed) with manual removal if the larger pieces should get it under control for you

Should I switch my salt over to reef salt from instant ocean?

No salt has nothing to do with it. Just cut back on feeding and up the wc's. You may want to run some chemical media to help

You still should use a reef grade salt mix if you are keeping corals. It's not going to do anything for your issue however.

I don't have any fish to feed I just have snails n crabs

No should I? It's coming off a ro/di 6 stage system. I had my tank water tested at petco yesterday and he said everything was in check and I could add fish

Petco? You better get your own test kits if you want to be successful in this hobby. You need a TDS meter to check and see when the filters on your RO unit need changing. Do you have one and if so, what is it telling you?

Are you buying the ro or making it? While your water is most likely not toxic to fish adding fish will increase the fuel in your system that is growing the algae (food and poop), I strongly suggest you get the algae under control before adding a fish because it will be easier

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394469412.944284.jpg this is what i use to test. I have my own system just installed brand new a month ago

Those are kind of worthless. At the very least you should invest in an api reef master kit, but other brands like Red Sea, salefirt, or Hannah are much better

Back
Top Bottom