Help with 100 gallon stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I'm really the exception to the 97% rule of overstocked tanks.

Well then who are we to stop you. Seems like you know all you need to know and already have your mind set. So all I say is good luck. Let us know how it works for ya.

On the 100g tank ill have a nitrate reactor sump skimmer for 250g tank carbon/ Gfo reactor and 2 other reactors and I'm going to have RO/ DI water

Fishfreak1 said:
Heck no I'm not paying $1500 just for the tank and equipment to have 12 fish. Lots of people say my tanks are overstocked but all my fish and filters are fine and I change my tank water once a month and all parameters are fine. I have 12 tanks 7 20 gallon tanks each have 18 fish that are at least 3 in each. Also I have 3 40 gallon marine tanks which have 20 fish and 5 inverts. I also have 2 55gallon tanks with 35 fish and 10 inverts. All my marine tank fish are 2-3inches. Now I want to have a 100 gallon tank to have at least 20 5 inch fish 1 full grown eel 28 in and 15 inverts.

Alright fish freak, i am done following this thread. You sound uneducated and very naive based on what you just said. Fish are living things, but you make it seem like they dont matter if your not entertained by them. Im sure all of your other fish are living a rough life, and thats too bad. Im dont following this thread though, have fun watching your 28" eel eat all the fish in you "nemo tank" lol.

Ill tell you how it goes, the only reason it works for me is I have a sump skimmer and a bunch of reactors also I use RO/ DI water is better than tap. Also so far I didn't have any deaths or diseases, I quarantine all my fish.

Fishfreak1 said:
Ill tell you how it goes, the only reason it works for me is I have a sump skimmer and a bunch of reactors also I use RO/ DI water is better than tap. Also so far I didn't have any deaths or diseases, I quarantine all my fish.

Fyi everyone with a 100 gallon tank has a sump, skimmer, and uses rodi. But they know how to stock fish tanks and dont want to put 40 large fish in their tanks :)

Plus I need room for my 100 gallon tank so I'm selling all my freshwater fish and all my 10-15 gallon tanks

I might sell one 55 gallon tank since some fish are outgrowing it and I can either sell them or give them away.

Also I forgot to tell you Nu nu i breed fish for my lfs and I get 3/4 of the equipment from them for free and the rest I buy and they want fish 3-4in at least and once every month I sell them for $5 per marine fish and $1 for freshwater fish the only tanks that I have that I bought myself are the 40 gallon tanks.

Freshwater overstocking is something you can pretty much get away with. It isn't so much so for saltwater. I really don't see how those tanks are not going to crash in the long run and how your fish are so happy being crammed in a small space. Paying $1500...most of that money is going to equipment/lights for corals right? You could have spent a thousand less if you just wanted fish. It's really the variety and selection corals that people enjoy opposed to fish, when setting up a reef tank that is. The fish are just the movement and some color. Some people don't even like keeping any fish in their reef tanks b/c they enjoy coral so much! Fish compatibility and overstocking somehow does not get in your way...so like the others said, good luck to you and hope all goes well.

I'm not cruel to animals I breed fish for my lfs and each month 15 in each tank disappear until new ones are born. The only tanks that are actually mine are the 40s

Plus I'm going to put my inverts first and then ill put 5 fish a month until I feel it's over crowded and I will put my eel in there once all fish are in I may do 10 fish 10 inverts and one eel but nothing less

Fishfreak1 said:
Heck no I'm not paying $1500 just for the tank and equipment to have 12 fish. Lots of people say my tanks are overstocked but all my fish and filters are fine and I change my tank water once a month and all parameters are fine. I have 12 tanks 7 20 gallon tanks each have 18 fish that are at least 3 in each. Also I have 3 40 gallon marine tanks which have 20 fish and 5 inverts. I also have 2 55gallon tanks with 35 fish and 10 inverts. All my marine tank fish are 2-3inches. Now I want to have a 100 gallon tank to have at least 20 5 inch fish 1 full grown eel 28 in and 15 inverts.

Okay...I've read through the thread and here is the issue. Eels are considered predators. They eat other fish and pretty much anything they can catch. It's their instinct. If you put an eel with your list of fish, you can start small but eventually you will have stuff disappear if not immediately. When you go to your LFS, this is the reason they are found in tanks by themselves with live rock. If you want a lot of fish then I wouldn't necessarily have a "reef" but you could put anemone and things like that in there. If you add tangs make sure that you've not only quarantined him but you've quarantined the other fish that are going in. If there's a hint of any ich or disease he'll be your first victim (I've had brown,powder,yellow,regal tangs). Butterfly fish are awesome and beautiful. I would only put one in as they fight. I've seen people put two and to be honest I had a large tank that had a bicolor and a flame angel with no issues but introduced them at the same time. I'm sure you know this but angels typically do better in reef tanks. If you do some research you will find that they live longer in a reef set up.

You basically need to decide if you want a predator tank or not. You really can't have that list of fish in the same tank. It's not a matter of whether the eel will eat your fish, it's when. Realize that the eel is going to stress the fish out. How about making this tank a normal saltwater tank and buying a pet snake?

A chainlink eel doesn't eat fish 99.9% of the time and doesn't eat live inverts 75% of the time

No need to laugh in their face, but yeah I do agree that those 10 inverts will be a nice snack for that eel. Trust me, I really wanted an eel for my tank, but they get too big and I rather keep my fish and not spend $20 on a fish and love it to find it gone and that it became an expensive meal. 10 fish & 10 inverts is more realistic. When you say you breed the fish for you LFS it's only temporary and you get a new batch and such, right? It's a whole different story to have that many fish, being different species, in a tank for a long period of time...

I said on page 2 that the eel might not be in there long, just experimental if he eats anything he is going back to the lfs.

A chainlink eel doesn't eat fish 99.9% of the time and doesn't eat live inverts 75% of the time

Where are you getting this info? The chainlink moray eel is pretty much like any other eel...maybe a slight difference. Wouldn't you think a lot more people would be keeping them in their reef tanks if they were that safe?

Back
Top Bottom