Help with 100 gallon stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfreak1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to have a 100 gallon reef tank soon and I want to do nemo styled aquarium so some fish and coral from the movie. I also want 2 fish that aren't in the movie so a lion fish and a eel. It's going to be a sand substrate and I also want a engineer goby I think that's what it's called is it reef safe?

Okay well i want to warn you that you wont be able to get all of the fish you want. For example lion fish and eels will eat the clown fish. Moorish idols are difficult to care for and wont do well. Puffers dont coexist with shrimp like it did in the movie. The tank probably isnt big enough for all of those fish. Post what you want and we can sift through it

How about garden eels or eels that are just born? Same with lion fish maybe a baby one. Also the puffer can sit out

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Okay well i want to warn you that you wont be able to get all of the fish you want. For example lion fish and eels will eat the clown fish. Moorish idols are difficult to care for and wont do well. Puffers dont coexist with shrimp like it did in the movie. The tank probably isnt big enough for all of those fish. Post what you want and we can sift through it

+1 Nu Nu is right!!! if the fish can fit into the lions mouth, he will eat it. My lion ate a damsel that was longer than I thought he could handle but he got him (not that I was to upset because that thing picked at everything I had put into the tank and I did try to remove him). I can't speak for the eel since I don't have first hand experience with them.

How about if I get a 1 in lion fish so a baby and put it in last.

You could get a dwarf lion, but then you'd have to build the tank around him. People who keep lionfish usually make the tank a predator tank..or they get fish that are aggressive/compatible. Might want to skip on the lionfish this time b/c you won't be able to keep the type of fish you want. Or you could have a lionfish and a few fish that will be aggressive and large, but no inverts.

Getting baby fish really doesnt help because at some point it will eat your smaller fish. You will either 1. Not be able to predict the future and wait a little too long and have an eaten fish or 2. Think that because they have "grown up" together that they are "friends" but no. It will get eaten. Lol garden eels need an 8" sand bed and not many people want to ruin their tank for an eel. Haha

Fine ill skip the lionfish but what about eels I was thinking 3-4in sand I really want a eel or a lion but it looks like I have to skip the lion now, so how about eels

Maybe have the engineer goby instead? When they get older their stripes turn from horizontal to vertical! They are more peaceful, but when large there have been cases of it eating little shrimp and such. Even w/ a snowflake eel, you would need to select your fish carefully for when the eel grows bigger.

Ok forget about the eel lionfish and goby for now

What fish were in the movie nemo that I can put in the same 100 gallon aquarium. Also what corals ( I have strong 500w halide LEDs for lights)

Fishfreak1 said:
Ok forget about the eel lionfish and goby for now

What fish were in the movie nemo that I can put in the same 100 gallon aquarium. Also what corals ( I have strong 500w halide LEDs for lights)

LOL! Regal blue tang, percula clowns. You could do a dwarf angel of some kind ( with a reef this is a touchy one because they've been known to nip at corals). Basically, if you aren't doing a predator tank, all you need to do is make sure the fish you like are reef safe and compatible. Do you have a quarantine tank yet? You will want to get one if not. The money spent outweighs the headache of dealing with ich and other disease plus the tangs are very susceptible to ich and disease.

Umm royal gramma..starfish..that's the only other ones I can think of..oh and the damsel, but wouldn't recommend damsels.

obscurereef said:
Umm royal gramma..starfish..that's the only other ones I can think of..oh and the damsel, but wouldn't recommend damsels.

I will second that! Damsels do not play nice with others! Go to liveaquaria.com and check out some of the fish there for good ideas!

Angle

Clownfish
Anthias
Blenny
Basslet
Butterfly
Starcki
Dottyback
Golden dwarf moray (maybe)
Firefish
Goby
Grouper
Hawkfish
Jawfish
Pygmy angle
Wrasse
Tang
Shrimp
Worm fish
And maybe a lionfish
Note the eel and lionfish will only be in there for a couple weeks to see how it goes if everything is good ill keep them.

What coral do I need? Does any fish require any like clown need anemone or is this not true?

What corals would you get for a 100 gallon tank that don't sting fish or release toxins? (Does anemone release anything toxic?)

Fishfreak1 said:
Angle

Clownfish
Anthias
Blenny
Basslet
Butterfly
Starcki
Dottyback
Golden dwarf moray (maybe)
Firefish
Goby
Grouper
Hawkfish
Jawfish
Pygmy angle
Wrasse
Tang
Shrimp
Worm fish
And maybe a lionfish
Note the eel and lionfish will only be in there for a couple weeks to see how it goes if everything is good ill keep them.

Angels and butterfly fish aren't reef safe. Closest to butterfly fish would be a foxface. Groupers and hawk fish aren't shrimp safe. Idk about worm fish and starcki. Tangs are natorious for gettin ich and a blue tang (dori) needs a 6th tank. Usually better in 150gal+ I'd definitely take out eel, lion, angels, grouper and hawk, and trade the butterfly for a foxface. Then repose the list and you'll probably still have to narrow the list a bit.

Back
Top Bottom