Help with my first tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seranko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Guys,

First of all, I want to thank you all you guys for this forum, it is excellent. I’ve been reading and learning a lot. I'm planning to set my first Reef Tank up and I need your advice...

I used to have (for 2 years) a freshwater planted tank with discus on it. As many people here, I get bored of it and I want a piece of the ocean in my house. The graphics attached show the system I’m planning to do. Also, I’m trying my old stuff.

The equipment I already have is:

1 - 75 gallon glass tank (will be my main tank)
2 - 10 gallon glass tanks (the sump and the refugium)
1 - 200 watts heater
1 - Fluval 404 (will be an extra filter, keeping the carbon, and cleaning the sump)
1 - Supreme MAG 3 (350 GPH) (will be the Pump No. 1)
1 - Supreme MAG 7 (700 GPH) (will be the Pump No. 3)

I’m planning to buy:

1 - 200 watts heater
1 - Supreme MAG 9.5 (950 GPH) (will be the Pump No. 2)
1 - Supreme MAG 7 (700 GPH) (will be the Pump No. 4)
1 - Supreme MAG 1.5 (140 GPH) (will be the Pump No. 5)

Pump No. 3 and No. 4 are just for the internal water movement. I will use a PCV tubes with small holes on it. The holes will be drilled in different angles in order to get the water flowing in different directions. I used this in my freshwater tank with success, but just in one side of the tank and the holes in the glass direction (because of the discus).

Also, I’m a DIY person so I’m planning to build the Skimmer. Is the Geoff (http://themantledmonster.thereeftank.com/skimmer.html) a good alternative ???

Please guys, let me know your thoughts about it. Thanks in advance

Seranko

Do you need an extra heater or is it just a failsafe? I have an 80 gallon and have only 1 200 watt heater. Also just info and I know you were probably planning it but don't forget the qt tank. Much more important in sw than fw.

Well, to be honest I didn't think about it. Thanks.... and yes, the heater is a extra... Just In Case. I had a bad experience one year ago when the heater fail and the temperature went from 30 to 20, and one of my discus died.

Any other comment ???

Thanks again

The extra heater, in addition to another pump or powerhead, would also come in handy for pre-mixing your change water in advance. Also, it is good to have in case one fails. Looks like a great list so far. Good luck!

BTW - I am using my Fluval for the same thing. Good to have, and easy to run.
You could use 1 10g tank for the sump/refugium, and one for the qt. Just a thought.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom