Help with refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishking22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want a refugium for my 100g long. I found a sump that I will attach. Is a sump or refugium better? This sump has 2200 gph. Is this enough? Or too much? Also if I had this what size return pump would I use? A 2200 gph one? And could I have a refugium in the middle of this? It looks like it has space....

http://www.aquariumguys.com/proflex-model-4-sump.html

there it is

Last edited:
I don't like premade sumps because they don't allow you to customize it to your and your tank's needs. I prefer to go with a standard aquarium (largest that can fit in the stand) and make it myself. I use smoked glass for the baffles so the light from the fuge doesn't grow algae outside of the fuge. The flow rate of the return pump should be based on what the overflow can handle (remember to adjust for the head height the pump will be pumping up to the tank).

If you make your own sump you can leave just enough room for the skimmer, pumps, etc. and maximize the space for the fuge.

agreed, yes on the proflex sump you can place a refugium i nthe middle, there is a video lower on the page of it.

a sump is just another way of saying a tank lower then your main tank. water falls in and gets pumped out.

Back
Top Bottom