Help with rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marine4life

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi can i use these rocks in my marine setup. As im starting my setup today and have about 20k of these in my shed. I would be adding 50kg live rock eventually with this if its safe.

image-3752646127.jpg

image-2713625689.jpg

The rocks look fine to me. I would rinse them off well to make sure no chemicals or anything from your shed got on the rocks.

I agree with Justin. As long as your sure that no chemicals or anything got on them from your shed, it looks like dry base rock to me. Rinse and enjoy!

Rosesrblu1 said:
I agree with Justin. As long as your sure that no chemicals or anything got on them from your shed, it looks like dry base rock to me. Rinse and enjoy!

Thanx. Yes they are cemical free as they were in a closed bin which i used to use for water changing. They are dry rock.
Will they become live ever and will it ever spike my tank chemistry?

You should make the salt water and then add it. Are you setting up a live sand bed? If so, definitely add salted water to the tank, otherwise the sand will die off from the lack of salt. Also, the shrimp should be table shrimp from the supermarket, nothing live so no need for any type of flake. The premise is to create decay for the shrimp to start your cycle. You should add that dry rock when you do this, and I would personally add some live bacteria. Either from a bottle or,a few pcs of live rock for the Lfs. This is only my opinion, but it will get you off on the right foot.

Also, are you using RO water, because most municipal water systems are treated with either chlorine or chloramines and this will be deadly to,your system.

Not sure if i read the thread correctly but I would add all the dead rock you want now, before you cycle. that way they new dead rock will liven up during the cycle. Base rock will have absolutely no effect on your parameters so you'll be fine.

I would add the salt tothe water before hand if possible, but you can add directly to the tank if you must, I've done that on a few occassions when i was lazy. lol

here are 2 articles on cycling, they should be helpful. :)

Ammonia conversion to nitrate

Cycle your salt tank

Instead of the dead shrimp I use pure ammonia from ace hardware to jump start my cycles. I find it easier to dose and maintain the ammonia levels during the cycle.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom