help with rockscape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi all thanks in advance for any help.. i am wondering that when i build my rock scape is it ok to lean rock against the back wall of my aquarium. will this damage or brake or crack smash the glass or will it be ok

craig_will2513 said:
hi all thanks in advance for any help.. i am wondering that when i build my rock scape is it ok to lean rock against the back wall of my aquarium. will this damage or brake or crack smash the glass or will it be ok

I would avoid resting rocks on the glass of any sized tank.

Rocks sometimes shift which can scratch the back wall. My best advice is to drill holes in your rocks. Put carbon rods through the rocks to stabilize them. It is just like building a large cake. The secret to stabilizing large cakes is to put rods through the tiers for support. If you don't have the drill for the job you can try using saltwater epoxy or glue to stick the rocks together.

No problem at all resting rocks against the back glass. Do it in a way that allows for swimming and hiding areas back there. You don't want it so dense that there's no way currents from powerheads or returns can't make the water move back there. And fish will likely sleep back there too.

I've leaned rocks on the back walls for all my tanks (72g and 155g).

You will have to read the instructions on how to use the glue. I drilled my rocks because every year I like to change the design ^^

Agreed with Austinsdad,i rest it on back and side walls as well..One thing you do want to make sure of though,,,make sure its all sitting the on the bottom of the tank glass as well,,not your sand

I prefer to leave mine off of the sides walls enuf so I can get my hand and a scraper down there all the way to the sand. About 3" will do, but your mileage may vary depending on the sizew of your hand :). I've seen some very ugly side walls when they are covered with rock.

I also leave my side glass open and use some of the back glass to lean rocks into. I make sure it's nothing too large and heavy and that if something shifts it wont crash another rock into it. :)

As long as everything is sturdy and your base rocks are really int here you shouldn't have any issues.

Back
Top Bottom