Help with stock list and initial set up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimes135

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 135 gal. with 30 gal. sump. I just added the water and began the cycling process with a couple raw shrimp from the grocery store. Tomorrow i will be adding 100 lbs of live branch rock (un-cured) and i am planning on and extra 25-75 lbs. of base rock. there are 120 lbs. live sand. my pump is about 1400 gph and i have 2 powerheads that are 650 gph a piece. I am planning on an aggressive and FOWLR set up.

Is my there enough current in my tank? if not how much more is needed.

Would these fish coexist nicely...
-Sunset wrasse appox. 6-7in. added first
-Clown or Picasso trigger
-Snowflake of Honeycomb Moray Eel
-Spotfin Lionfish (possibly 2)
-Dogfaced Puffer or something similar
-Niger Trigger
-Marine Betta
-Spotted Cat Shark
-Emperor Angel
-Corral Beauty Angle
-Powder Blue Tang

If there are any other fish that would thrive in this enviroment, or if any of these would fight, any information would be appreciated, I am brand new to the hobby (about 5 years experience with FW). Again any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

WELCOME TO AA!!

Props for doing a fishless cycle!

That is quite a list of fish. I love a lot of that selection, unfortunately, most of them will not get along.
The shark is probably best left in the ocean. The lionfish will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth (and they can open WIDE). The triggers can/will move LR, the puffer will eat your inverts, as well as the eels (I don't have experience on them, but they like to eat things they can get into their mouths as well). I think the snowflake is pretty calm, and I believe the morays really should stay in the ocean.
My suggestion, get a list of must haves and build around that....pretty soon, you will have tanks all over your house!
Check liveaquaria.com for some ideas. They are pretty reliable on habit if various fish....

Always a pain when the fish you want can't just get along.

I mean why can't they be like in the screensavers!!!!

Anyway mate the tank sounds like it'll look great, just be careful what you put in there.

Oh and welcome to AA (we need a 12 step program for MTS)

Thanks for the quick responses. i will do some revisions to the fish list and post soon. other than that how does my hardware/set up sound? from the research that i have done it seems ok, but you can never be too sure.
thanks again.

Not just getting along but your bioload is too high for all those type fish. Most of them are messy eaters and they will cause high excessive nutrients in your tank.

Yeah, i wasnt planning on having all of those fish. that is pretty much a list of all the fish that i like and i was going to pick a certain number of fish from that. I was planning on staying away from the lion fish because i heard that they were very messy. are there any others that i should stay away from because of this, or any other reason that i am over looking.

From the research that i have done i found that you could have a sunset (banana) wrasse, emperor angel, and picasso trigger live together. is this true? would any special precautions need to be taken? does anyone have experience with any of these fish?
Thank you.

That wrasse is a jumper, so you will need egg crate or a lid (stay away from lids, they can cause low pH), he should be okay with with that trigger. Keep in mind the picasso, will and can move rock (really cool fish). I am not sure how the Imperator would hold up, I don't know too much about them. The wrasse and trigger will limit your clean up crew.
As for your equipment, are you going to use a skimmer? I think that would be ideal if you are not using a filter (unless you are calling your filter the pump).
I have a 125G and will be using 4 SEIO 820s in mine.

Yes i will be running a protien skimmer (by pump i meant return pump). as for my cleanup crew i was planning on running a refugium and thought i would put them in there. i heard that that is the most successful way to set up a semi agressive to agresive tank.

grimes135 said:
Yes i will be running a protien skimmer (by pump i meant return pump). as for my cleanup crew i was planning on running a refugium and thought i would put them in there. i heard that that is the most successful way to set up a semi agressive to agresive tank.
Yep, you got it!

Just added 110lbs of live rock and about 35 of base rock. had a fun time aquascaping. about how long should i wait after my tank cycles to add a refugium? and should i do that before i put any fish in? thanks

grimes135 said:
Just added 110lbs of live rock and about 35 of base rock. had a fun time aquascaping. about how long should i wait after my tank cycles to add a refugium? and should i do that before i put any fish in? thanks
I'm not sure on that one, I will be doing the same with my new tank, so I will defer this questions to the more experienced.

What additives would you recommend to promote coralline algea growth on live rock, and should it be added as soon as your uncured live rock gets put in your tank or should you wait until the end of the cycle?

I'm not one to dose my tank, so the only advice I can give is regular PWCs. There are folks that use something called "purple up" I think...

Anyone else who does dose their tank, any recommendations? thanks

Back
Top Bottom