help with transferring sand to new tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgmatzke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about 20 lbs. of live sand and 20 lbs. of sand blasting sand in my 40 gal. Question is... Do I want to transfer this sand into my new 75gal tank or should I start new? I am worried that the sand is not up to par since I am making sure everything is right this time setting up a new tank.

some people use the SB sand now even though it is silica based. I wounldn't though.. How long has the other sand been in your tank.

I transffered mine to my 90 after is was in my 55 for about 4 months. I smelled worse then anything I have ever smelled in mylife. Total gross. If it is really old I would just take some of the top layer off to seed your new sand bed. the sand on the bottom can be pretty nasty

If its not argonite...dont use it. It also needs to be pretty fine. Just a little coarser than silt.

Squishy

I have had this setup in my 40 gal for 2 years and there has been some problems with red & hair algea. I think I will play it safe and buy new. Thanks for the post.

Back
Top Bottom