Herbie overflow (in a tight spot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audifusion

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm doing a herbie overflow, for my new rimless build.

My problem is that I don't have much space between the bottom of my overflow box and the top of my sump tank . It's a super tight fit trying to get a 1.5" union ball valve in the space between the overflow and sump.

Can I put the ball valve inside the overflow box?

Will have to get my arm wet every time I need to adjust but other than that I don't see an issue with it.

Or I could put a 90 degree elbow below the overflow and attach the ball valve then another 90 into the sump , but wondered if that will affect the siphon effect of the herbie
Ideas?

I would just do the 90's, it will have no effect on anything other than to reduce drain flow volume very minimally. Now get that plumbing done and update your build thread. While we are on the topic there is an outcry for updates on your 800g.

I would just do the 90's, it will have no effect on anything other than to reduce drain flow volume very minimally. Now get that plumbing done and update your build thread. While we are on the topic there is an outcry for updates on your 800g.

+1 I don't imagine the 90 s would be a problem at all. And +1 on the up dates

Sounds good, will do the 90s.

Filling the tank from my rodi today.... Drip....drip .... Takes forever,

Ya for 800 gals I imagine it would. You need some local reefers to donate some of their ro/di

Herbie done...... Love it... Silent,

Read a few threads suggesting to adjust the valve so that a trickle goes through the "emergency drain" so I did that, and went with a ball valve , just had a gate valve fail on my monster skimmer for my 800g, ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394588840.844652.jpg

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated as always

Back
Top Bottom