here are soem of my results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotskate

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay " cured " fiji has been in there for about a week and a half and uncured for about 3 days my levels are the following

ammonia - in between 1.0 and 0.50

high range Ph- 8.2ish? cant really tell bc the color isnt anytihng but resembels that

nitrite- 0.50

nitrate- 5.0

salinity 0.021

at 80 degrees

i have 4 filter pads which are getting really dirty alreqady should i clean them/ replace them?

I would suggest raising your SG a few points. 1.024-25 would allow for a healthier system. The numbers you've posted are typical for a cycling tank and things should move along fine. As far as the filter pads, they should be cleaned or replaced to prevent build up of nutrient and reduced flow through the filtration system...

Cheers
Steve

hey steve what kinda lighting do u have? those anemo? can u put nay fish in the tank with thosE?

I have 4x96w PC light on the tank with that particular anemone. Their addition to any tank should not be taken lightly. It is generally recommended to wait for the tank to mature at least a year before adding an anemone to be sure the tank is properly stable and able to support one. Personally, I waited 2 years before adding an anemone.

I would definately suggest you do your homework on anemone's. You cannot simpley add on to a tank and hope it does well. More often than not, they do not survive past the first few months due to collection damage or moreso, improper care.

Many different types of fish can be kept with anemone's providing they are reef compatible. Triggers, filefish, large angels and other invert munchers are a definate no...

Cheers
Steve

okay hear me out i have a 90 gal with a oceanic sump 2 i have 40 or 60 lbs of live sand and 110 of araganite not live i have about 70 lbs of live rock

i plan on getting a skimmer, power heads, and more live rock how much of each?

Sand depth is up to you but personally, my tanks are about 1-1½" depth. The more LR the better within reason. I find that the closer to 2lb/gal the better but some do not prefer the look. At the least though I would shoot for about 120 lbs minimum. You can purchase some dead base rock to save on the cost as well as getting rock types that are not so dense. Lighter rock will have better areas within for anoxic dentrification and lighter rock= cheaper shipping weight and cost.

Cheers
Steve

im gonna buy another 45lb box of fiji rock form live auqira what u think i have like 160 lbs of sand in a 90 gal so its like 3-4 inches?

As I said the sand depth is up to you. I am not the right person to ask about a DSB and I will leave that to someone who uses them... :wink:

Cheers
Steve

lol but a 45 lb fiji should be fine for now that will give me like 115 lbs

Yes the added rock would be a beneficial purchase. You should also look around for other vendors that sell rock. Adding different types of rock will add to the biodiversity of the tank. There are many online e-tailers and many different regions the rock is collected form. Have a look on the net and ask people for references as to their favorites. You can also post a question with our sponsor >>Liverocks.com<< to see what they have to offer.

Cheers
Steve

im actually gonna do the live rock.com rock 40lbs anddd 45 lbs of fiji

so then ill have

85 + 70 = 155

Nice looking Sebae BTW.....

Good advice on the anemone.....a year at least. Condy's are a pain...I don't want to even go there......

My only disagreement would be the addition of some rock anemones if he insists on trying some. Pretty tough to hurt in even a new tank, even though they are a bit like dandelions.

How are you mixing your PC lights BTW? 50/50 plus actinic? What brand are the actinics? I'm wondering since I'm trying different brands of the actinics and can't get quite happy, and I really like the looks of your lights.

whats sebae? honest;y i have nooooooooooo i dea what u r saying those words r to advanced for me lol okay well i just purchased another 40 lbs of lr from LIVEROCKs.com and a berlin classic prtein skimmer with the rio 2100 what do u think as of the lights they are the regular AGA 48inch triple strip light ?

i cant answer on the fist as I do not have a skimmer on my tank. Power heads there may be a rule of thumb that I dont know about but really look at your tank and see where the dead spots are and low flow areas and that will tell how many and where to put power heads IMO that is probably the best way to figure that out. As for live rock most people recommend 1 and half lbs to 2 lbs of live rock per gal of water. So 90 gal tank would need 180 lbs of live rock total but its not a hard number you could do a little less too! HTH

Back
Top Bottom