Hermit crab hiding out??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Had my biocube going for a out 6 weeks. I had one hermit die. The one is out on the rock and the other larger one seems to be hiding out under some rock. I have 3 turbo snails added a few weeks ago and are fine. Did a 20% water change a week and something ago. I did just add some astrid snails a few days back is the only change otherwise. I do have the brown algae now which i know is a startup issue. The water from the bag i did just add to my tank but not sure if that is bad? I also started out with tap water and now replacing with RO. Any thoughts on the dead crab and about the one hiding out??

Not sure what that is all about. But the big one hides. The other one was just at the bottom and totally out of his shell. Cant you explain molt more?

They shed their entire shells in order to grow. Hard to tell a molt but if you pick it up and squeeze it, it's hollow.

The sore i got them from said they could stay in that same shell for a year? They are maybe 2 weeks old. Would not think they would be ready for a new shell yet?

There are 2 shells. The snail shell they live in, which you should ALWAYS have a few larger ones available and their own crab shell. That is the one they will shed, often after being moved to a new tank.

Wish i knew more before i started. But he was not moving or doing anything at all. Just sat there. Will know more next time. Wish i would have waited a day to see if he moved.

Holy crap. The one i thought died just showed up!!!! Wtf. I am guessing that was molting or him shedding his shell?

Is leaving that old skin in the tank bad? Not sure if it would cause any issues.

Back
Top Bottom