Hesitant About hypo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xahx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My LFS claims that Hypo treatment would kill my fish surely, and i also have a comment from a marine biology professor at CSULB that lowering the salinity to 14 ppt would likely kill them as well.

Everything online that i have researched seems to prove that hypo is fine, and that many ppl have success while doing it.

Can any one please share their success?

Can i do water changes while i am doing hypo treatment?

If the Ph were to rise or lower, How would i adjust it? I have the superbuffer (dkh), would that work?

I'm treating a fish for it right now with no issues whatsoever.
I have used it several time with little to no stress on the patient. :)

My LFS claims that Hypo treatment would kill my fish surely
Very wrong..period. If its conducted correctly.

Can i do water changes while i am doing hypo treatment?
Certainly, will need to keep the water parameters in check.
If the Ph were to rise or lower, How would i adjust it? I have the superbuffer (dkh), would that work?
That would work, just make any changes slowly. If fact it is best to adjust the change water before doing the water changes.

The key ingredient in hypo is going to be a refractometer. A swing arm hydrometer is not going to be reliable enough and probably the greatest impact in the statistics of failure.

Hypo works. PERIOD.

Yes, you need a refractometer, Yes you need to keep careful watch over your parameters, especially pH and SG. and Yes, you should plan on 10% daily water changes to help keep everything in balance. That's only 3 gallons in a 30 gal QT which is what I'm using right now....Almost done!

cool I got my portable refractometer today!

will get started asap....

My qt is still cycling, should i let it finish b4 treatment?

You can put in some expendable lr to help cycle faster and aid the qt biofilter. I did that and it was a big help; the bacteria in the lr can take the hyposalinity just fine. Just use rock with little or no life if possible. Typically hypo is used alone, no meds, so there's no drawback to the lr being there (except inverts on the rock, algae may not make it). But the pros outweigh the cons because you will have less stress worrying about ammonia, nitrite. Power filters can be used also with hypo.

Back
Top Bottom